November 21, 2016 12:15:53 pm
Samsung has issued a statement saying the Galaxy S7 smartphone family is completely safe and there are no battery issues with these devices. Samsung responded after there were reports of a Galaxy S7 phone exploding. For Samsung, which has already ended production of the Galaxy Note 7 after the battery exploding fiasco, the Galaxy S7 series is the only remaining premium phone in the market. Any reports of these phones being unsafe could mean a bigger public relations disaster for the company.
In a statement, Samsung “Samsung stands behind the quality and safety of the Galaxy S7 family. There have been no confirmed cases of internal battery failures with these devices among the more than 10 million devices being used by consumers in the United States.”
But Samsung goes on to add in its statement that there have a number of instances of “severe external damages”. Samsung has not given an exact number or more details on these so called ‘instances.’ Samsung says that until they can actually “obtain and examine” the concerned phones, it will be “impossible to determine the true cause of any incident.”
Last week, a report in Gizmodo said that a Canadian man’s Galaxy S7 phone exploded while he was driving. According to the report, the user managed to throw the phone outside of the car, but not before it had filled his vehicle with smoke. The man suffered second and third degree burns on his hands due to the Samsung Galaxy S7.
The last thing that Samsung needs right now is for the Galaxy S7 to be under the scanner as potentially unsafe. Samsung has already estimated a loss of $5.3 billion thanks to the exploding Note 7, which was expected to be a challenger to the Apple iPhone 7 Plus. Samsung recently issued a full page ad apology to its customers in the US, after the Note 7’s production was officially ended. To add to Samsung’s woes, it was also forced to recall over 2 million washing machines in the US after reports of some of these exploding and causing injuries to consumers.
With the Galaxy Note 7, Samsung was accused of dragging its feet on calling for an official recall. When the replacement devices start to exploded, Samsung still hadn’t figured out the problem. While Samsung is insisting the Galaxy S7 is safe, it certainly can’t afford another hit as far as its flagship devices go. We’ll have to wait and see if Samsung reveals more on what happened in this latest incident.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.