Follow Us:
Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes in 6-year-old’s hand, causes burns

A 6-year-old boy from Brooklyn New York suffered burns after a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 exploded in his hands.

By: Tech Desk |
Updated: September 12, 2016 1:58:33 pm
Samsung, Samsung galaxy note 7, Galaxy note7 battery issue, Galaxy note 7 recall, Galaxy note 7 injuries, Galaxy note 7 fire, Galaxy note 7 burns child, Galaxy note 7 explodes in boys hand, galaxy note 7 battery overheating, smartphone, technology, technology news, indian express Samsung hasn’t officially recalled the Galaxy Note 7, but is instead allowing customers to return or replace it

A Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone exploded in the hands of a 6-year-old boy from Brooklyn New York, while he watched videos on the device. The boy was rushed to the hospital by his family with burns to his hands and body, according to a report by the New York Post. Samsung has recalled the Galaxy Note 7 after reports of the device exploding or burning up, while charging and blamed the issue on a battery fault.

The boy was home in the evening, and was playing around with the Galaxy Note 7 when it exploded in his hands – causing serious burns. The family called 911 and rushed the boy to hospital, where he was treated. The child has since returned home, but refuses to go near any phone now; his grandmother told the paper.

Samsung has officially recalled the Galaxy Note 7, and will let customers return or replace it for an S7, S7 edge. There have been at least 35 other reported incidents of the Galaxy Note 7 devices exploding, but this is the first incident of the device injuring someone. Aviation agencies FAA and DGCA have cautioned Galaxy Note 7 users to not put these phones in their checked-in luggage, and to keep them switched off while traveling in flights. Charging the device in the aircraft is also a big no-no.

Recently a Florida man shared images of his burnt Jeep SUV on Facebook, claiming this was caused by Galaxy Note 7 device, which he had left to charge in the car.  The phone reportedly exploded in the car. Images shared by Nathan Dornacher from Saint Petersberg Florida, show his SUV gutted by fire. He also shared images of the burn Note 7, and said that he did not know about the recall for the device.

Read: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 burns down Florida man’s SUV while charging

Samsung recently shared the reason for the battery overheating issue with the Galaxy Note 7. According to the company, the overheating issue of the battery is because of a manufacturing process error made by the batteries manufacturer SDI. Samsung SDI is reported to have supplied around 70 per cent of Galaxy Note 7 batteries. This recall is expected to cost Samsung nearly $1 billion. In India, the phone was yet to start shipping, and so far shipments have been delayed thanks to the battery fiasco.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Technology News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.