Samsung has said it will delaying the start of new Galaxy Note 7 smartphone sales in South Korea by three days to October 1. According to a Reuters report, the move is needed for speedy completion of the ongoing recall in the country. The report added that Samsung said on Sunday about 200,000 affected South Korean customers have turned in their devices. But there’s still another 200,000 people left for the recall.
The Korean smartphone maker recalled close to 2.5 million units of Galaxy Note 7 earlier this month, after reports of its battery exploding while charging. The smartphone was recalled from 10 markets globally including South Korea. Samsung has started rolling out an update, for its customers in Europe, that will limit the battery charge to 60 per cent, reducing the risk of overheating while charging.
According to Reuters, Samsung has pledged not to sell any new models until it fully completes the exchange of existing Note 7s with faulty batteries. “We fully expect (new Note7s) to be available everywhere by the end of November … well before the end of the fourth quarter,” David Lowes, Samsung’s chief marketing officer in Europe said.
Meanwhile, US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued an official warning saying the phone should not be switched on or charged during a flight. FAA also issued a directive on the use of the Note 7 and its storage in luggage. Several airlines including Emirates, Qantas,Virgin Australia American, Delta, Air France, Virgin America and Virgin Atlantic have issued advisories related to the use of Galaxy Note 7 inside airplanes.
With Reuters inputs