Reliance Jio 4G data tariff is here, and its definitely cheaper than its rivals. It starts at Rs 149 and goes all the way up to Rs 4,999 for postpaid users. Reliance Industries Limited chairman Mukesh Ambani announced company’s 4G data plans at AGM (Annual General Meeting) on September 1. Reliance Jio 4G services are currently free under company’s Preview offer ad users will only be charged form January 1, 2017. Ambani is calling this the ‘Jio Welcome Offer.’ The best part is – all Reliance Jio 4G plans come with an access to free local and STD voice calls. Also, the company will not charge for roaming within India from Jio customers.
Reliance Jio 4G offer is now open to most smartphone brands including Samsung, LG, HTC, Asus, Intex, Videocon, Gionee, Vivo, Micromax, Lava, Lenovo and more. The Preview offer was only compatible with Reliance Lyf smartphones earlier. Another way to use Reliance Jio 4G services is through company’s JioFi device. The Reliance JioFi device is a WiFi hotspot that can connect to up to 10 devices at a time and one more through USB.
Also, getting a Reliance Jio SIM card is easy. Users need to walk in to a Reliance Digital Store or Digital Xpress Mini store with required documents and passport size photographs to buy a Jio 4G SIM card. The process of submitting documents, will however, be bypassed once e-KYC solution is introduced.
We compared Reliance Jio 4G data plans for postpaid users with those of its rivals – Airtel and Vodafone. Here’s what other telecom operators are offering in the Delhi, Delhi/NCR circle in terms of postpaid 4G plans:
First things first: All Reliance Jio 4G plans come with free unlimited access to local and STD voice calls in home and withing India.The data plans also include free access to Jio apps.
• Reliance Jio postpaid plans starts at Rs 149 for 300MB and comes with a validity of 1 month. Also, there’s access to 100 free SMSes.
• The next 7 plans come with a validity of 28 days and 100 SMSes per day. The 4GB data plan at Rs 499 and gives users an access to 8GB of free WiFi data.
• There’s 10GB plan at Rs 999, which also comes with 20GB free WiFi data.
• The 20GB plan is priced at Rs 1,499. It comes with 40GB free WiFi data.
• Up next is 35GB plan, which costs Rs 2,499 and gives users an access to 70GB free WiFi data.
• The 60GB and 75GB 4G data plans are priced at Rs 3,999 and Rs 4,999 respectively. These come with 120GB and 150GB of free WiFi data respectively.
• Additionally, the 20GB, 35GB, 60GB and 75GB data plans come with 30, 50, 80 and 100 free ISD minutes.
• Airtel recently announced ‘my Plan Infinity’ which works only with 4G. It starts at Rs 949 and goes all the way up to Rs 2,999.
• Airtel is giving away unlimited access to music, movies and all local calls. Al other plans expect for the Rs 949 one also come with free roaming and all STD calls.
• Under the ‘my Plan Infinity’ plan, Airtel postpaid users will be charged Rs 949 for 1GB data.
• There’s another 1GB plan for Rs 1,199, which comes with an additional unlimited access to roaming and STD calls.
• The 5GB plan costs Rs 1,599.
• There’s 10GB and 20GB plans at Rs 1,999 and Rs 2,999 respectively.
• Vodafone users need to pay Rs 100 per month for 3G/4G of 300MB data. Post exhaustion, users will be charged at 4p/10KB.
• There’s two 1GB plans at Rs 299 and Rs 250. Vodafone customers will be charged at Rs 4p/10KB post exhaustion in the Rs 250 plan’ whereas its 50p/MB in the Rs 299 plan.
• The b plans cost Rs 450 and Rs 499.
• Vodafone offers 3GB monthly data at Rs 650 and 4GB data at Rs 750.
• The 5GB monthly plan costs Rs 850.
• There’s also an 8GB plan at Rs 1,250 and 12GB data plan at Rs 1,599.
Video: Reliance Jio SIM speed test
Clearly, Reliance Jio 4G data tariffs are cheapest at the moment with Vodafone coming very close. Don’t forget Jio services come with an access to free voice calls and roaming charges have been dropped. Plus,. there’s free WiFi data, free SMSes bundled along with these plans and free access to Jio premium apps.
Worried about Reliance 4G speeds? Well, we conducted speed tests on a Reliance Jio 4G SIM card, while it was in its initial beta phase, only available for LYF devices. The Reliance Jio SIM we tested gave us a minimum download speed of over 8Mbps. However, the average speeds were double this at over 18Mbps. The download speeds came in the range of 6Mbps to 10Mbps, which is way above what you get from other players now. But remember, the service is still in Beta and the speeds may vary once more people start using the network.