Alibaba Group announced the launch of OS’Car, the first YunOS enabled internet car, in collaboration with SAIC Motor Corp. Alibaba YunOS for cars is a smart operating system, a part of Alibaba’s Internet of Things (IoT) strategy.
“Humans have made machines more intelligent in the past few decades. What we hope to achieve in the coming decades is to inject machines with human wisdom. Just as software programs have made the phone smarter today, YunOS will make cars an even more indispensable part of human life in the future society. Today marks the dawn of that new era. We feel proud and privileged to be playing a part in driving that change.” said Jack Ma, Executive Chairman of Alibaba Group.
“We believe cars will be the next wave of access point to the internet, and the integration of our data-driven intelligent operating system to create a smart car is an important milestone as we enter the era of IoT. Working together with SAIC, Alibaba will transform the car from a mode of transportation into a new platform for smart living through the seamless use of big data, internet and cloud computing. We hope to truly elevate the experience of driving and allow consumers a new lifestyle to be enjoyed via their vehicles,” said Daniel Zhang, Chief Executive Officer of Alibaba Group.
The OS’Car RX5 is an Internet-connected car and will be mass produced. The car will be supported by a cloud-based platform that enables data streaming, modeling and reporting.
“What we are creating is not ‘internet in the car’, but a ‘car on the internet’. This is a significant milestone in the automobile industry. Smart operating systems become the second engine of cars, while data is the new fuel,” said Dr. Wang Jian, Chairman of Technology Steering Committee of Alibaba Group.
YunOS comes with the following features for Car RX5:
- An intelligent map, location tracking without WiFi or GPS and automatic change in map zoom size based on the car speed.
2. The car can take direct commands through smart voice control
3. It is equipped with up to four detachable action cameras for video recordings and 360-degree selfies. Users can share the selfies instantly via the connected smart phone.
4. This is the first car with an Internet ID. The OS recognises drivers and provide a host of features like personalised internet services and preferred music and destinations.
5. The car ensures safe driving through the use of three integrated screens, including a large touch screen, LED dashboard and an intelligent rearview mirror.
6. The OS’Car RX5 is available for 99,800 Yuan to 186,800 Yuan.