January 13, 2016 7:28:46 pm
Star Indian boxer Vijender Singh will fight his first professional bout on Indian soil come July followed by “something huge” in September-October.
Talking to reporters in London, his UK-based promoter Francis Warren promised a show like none before during Vijender’s India appearances.
“We have big plans for him this year, we’re hoping to do a big show in Delhi around July. Plans are underway, we have something huge around September/October. It’s going to be something that’s never been done before,” Warren said in a press conference without revealing what exactly are their plans.
Vijender has been on a rampage ever since making his debut in the pro circuit last year in Manchester, winning all his three bouts via Knockout so far.
“He’s making big waves and improving on a daily basis. Vijender is the flagbearer for Indian boxing, he’s taken a huge step to putting his country on the boxing map by coming over here,” said Warren.
Warren, who owns the Queenberry Promotions, said a new TV deal has been inked to telecast the former olympic and World Championships bronze-medallist’s next bout. Vijender will be fighting his next bout in Liverpool on February 13 against a yet to be named opponent.
“We’ve done a major deal with Star TV in India, we had 20 million people watch his debut and 25 million in his next fight. That number will only increase. What will we do in India this year is going to be big news,” said Warren.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.