Muhammad Ali was not only a boxing champion, he was a championship talker.
After Fighting a 32 year battle with Parkinson disease, the boxing legend finally hung-up his gloves. Muhammad Ali died on Saturday, at the age of 74.
Following are some quotations from Ali:
* “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.”
* “It’s just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.”
* “Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up.”
* “At home I am a nice guy but I don’t want the world to know. Humble people, I’ve found, don’t get very far.”
* “I’ve wrestled with alligators. I’ve tussled with a whale. I done handcuffed lightning, and throw thunder in jail. You know I’m bad. Just last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I’m so mean, I make medicine sick.”
* “I’m not the greatest. I’m the double greatest. Not only do I knock ’em out, I pick the round. I’m the boldest, the prettiest, the most superior, most scientific, most skillfullest fighter in the ring today.”
* “I know I got it made while the masses of black people are catchin’ hell but as long as they ain’t free, I ain’t free.”
* “I ain’t got no quarrel with them Viet Cong.”
* “I may not talk perfect white talk-type English but I give you wisdom.”
* “If Ali says a mosquito can pull a plow, don’t ask how. Hitch him up!”
* “I’m the loneliest person that can speak to everybody in the whole world. My name is known in Serbia, Pakistan, Morocco. These are countries that don’t follow the Kentucky Derby.”
* “Sometimes I feel a little sad because I can see how some things I said could upset some people. But I did not deliberately try to hurt anyone. The hype was part of my job, like skipping rope.”
* “Now the things that once were so effortless – my strong voice and the quickness of my movements – are more difficult. But I get up every day and try to live life to the fullest because each day is a gift from God.”