Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu, who last month became the first male in 66 years to win back-to-back Olympic gold medals in men’s figure skating, will not defend his world title later this month, the Japan Skating Federation said on Wednesday. The 23-year-old cast doubt on his participation in Milan after his Olympic triumph in Pyeongchang, saying repeatedly that healing the right ankle he injured in a training fall late last year was his priority.
“According to the results of a medical examination, I will be unable to take part in the worlds,” Hanyu said in a statement, thanking his fans for their support. “I will make every effort to recover as soon as possible through treatment and rehabilitation.”
Last week, the double world champion told a news conference that he hoped to eventually successfully land a quintuple jump and break the five-spin barrier.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines