scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Conor McGregor set for UFC return in January

Conor McGregor has previously fought twice at 170 pounds against Nate Diaz, losing the first fight to a second-round submission but winning an epic rematch on points.

By: Reuters | Stockhlom | Updated: November 29, 2019 11:34:23 am
Conor McGregor Conor McGregor lost to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229. (Source: AP)

Former two-weight UFC champion Conor McGregor is set to return to the octagon on January 18 where he will take on veteran American Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in a welterweight bout at UFC 246, promotion boss Dana White has told ESPN.

“Conor has signed and ‘Cowboy’ is ready to go,” the UFC president said, giving the green light for the return of one of MMA’s most bankable stars.

Irishman McGregor, who has 21 professional wins and four losses in MMA and a single defeat to Floyd Mayweather on his professional boxing record, has not fought since losing his lightweight title to Khabib Nurmagomedov via submission in October 2018.

The 31-year-old has previously fought twice at 170 pounds against Nate Diaz, losing the first fight to a second-round submission but winning an epic rematch on points.

ALSO READ: Khabib Nurmagomedov says Conor McGregor needs 10 fights for rematch

Since losing to Nurmagomedov, McGregor has had several brushes with the law, and, in a court hearing on Nov. 1, pleaded guilty to assaulting a man in a pub in Dublin earlier in the year.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement