Launched a few days ago, Facebook’s Trending World Cup page is keeping football aficionados busy. Thursday’s opening match between Brazil and Croatia generated a large amount of buzz on the social media site. Here is a collection of some of the most interesting data culled from the opening match of the FIFA World Cup 2014.
Globally, over 58 million people had more than 140 million Facebook interactions related to Brazil’s win over Croatia in the opening match of the World Cup.
This includes about 16 million Brazilians who had more than 40 million Facebook interactions about the match, representing nearly 30% of Facebook daily actives in the host country.
TOP FIVE SOCIAL MOMENTS
1. Neymar Jr. scores Brazil’s first goal to level the match at 1-1
2. Neymar Jr. gives Brazil a 2-1 lead on a penalty kick (awarded on controversial foul)
3. The final whistle blows and Brazil wins the opening match of the 2014 World Cup
4. Oscar scores in extra time to extend Brazil’s lead to 3-1
5. An own goal by Marcelo gives Croatia a stunning 1-0 early lead over Brazil
Who was buzzing about the match?
1. Men 18-24
2. Men 25-34
3. Women 18-24
4. Women 25-34
5. Men 35-44
TOP FIVE COUNTRIES
Where were people buzzing about the match?
2. United States
TOP FIVE PLAYERS
Which players got the most Facebook buzz?
1. Neymar Jr.
3. Thiago Silva