Over the last eighty years,the World Cup has produced some of footballs biggest shocks. Now,in association with Paddy Power,the leading Irish bookmaker who offer a range of World Cup odds,we have come up with the top 10 upsets in World Cup history.
10. North Korea 1-0 Italy (1966) As in 2010,the North Koreans were a largely unknown quantity in 1966.
However,they beat Rivera,Mazzola et al,with Pak Doo-Ik the Korean hero at Ayresome Park.
9. Northern Ireland 1-0 Spain (1982) Beating the hosts is an achievement at any World Cup,but Gerry Armstrongs winner gave Northern Ireland their greatest ever international moment.
8. Cameroon 1-0 Argentina (1990) In the tournament curtain raiser in Milan,Cameroon caused one of the biggest shocks of all by beating the reigning World champions – Maradona and all. Their tactics might have erred on the side of disgraceful (they famously finished the match with nine men) but it kick-started a campaign that took Roger Milla and the Indomitable Lions to the World Cup quarter-final.
7. Senegal 1-0 France (2002) France should have taken heed of that Cameroon result. An African team that was given no chance beating the reigning World Champions 1-0 in the opening game? Sound familiar….? 6. Uruguay 2-0 Brazil (1950) 22 gold medals with Brazils name on them,a speech for the winners prepared only in Portuguese and a song entitled Brazil The Victors that was never performed. Thats how confident Brazil were of winning the 1950 Final,in a match that has been nicknamed the Maracanazo (The Maracana Blow).
5. East Germany 1-0 West Germany (1974) The clash between the two sides of the Berlin Wall was won by the brilliantly named Jurgen Sparwasser. However,East Germany went out in the second round whilst their neighbours in the West went on to win the World Cup.
4. Bulgaria 2-1 Germany (1994) Two goals in three minutes from Hristo Stoichkov and Yordan Letchkov caused this major shock in 1994. The magician as he was known,Letchkov was playing domestic football in the German league at the time.
3. Costa Rica 1-0 Scotland (1990) One of Scotlands worst World Cup results – although the Costa Ricans did go on to beat Sweden in their next match before being thumped by Czechoslovakia.
2. Algeria 2-1 West Germany (1982) Heres a cautionary tale for England when they face the Desert Foxes in 2010. West Germany were the 3/1 favourites for the 1982 tournament whilst Algeria were 1,000/1 to lift the trophy in their first World Cup. Rabah Madjer and Lakhdar Belloumi got the goals for the Africans.
Paddy Power have England at 7/1 in the World Cup Betting with Algeria at 600/1. Lets hope history doesnt repeat itself…
1. USA 1-0 England (1950) In 1950,England remained convinced they were the best team in the world whilst the Americans had lost their previous seven international matches by a combined score of 45-2.
However,in Belo Horizonte,the USA caused the biggest World Cup shock of them all. England attacker Wilf Mannion was famously quoted as saying,Bloody ridiculous. Cant we play them again tomorrow? About Paddy Power Paddy Power is Irelands biggest and most successful bookmaker.
Founded in 1988 by the merger of three existing Irish high street bookmakers,Paddy Power takes an unconventional approach to betting and gaming believing them to be firmly rooted in the leisure and entertainment space.
As such its mission is to make risk-based entertainment more accessible and fun. It offers customers an unparalleled betting experience that is great value; great fun and has the best service.
Through this strategy the company has developed a strong reputation as The Punter Friendly Bookmaker and has become renowned for its unique Money Back Specials.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines