scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Pele released from hospital, will continue tumor treatment

Pele, 81, was hospitalized at the start of December for sessions of chemotherapy.

By: AP | Sao Paulo (brazil) |
Updated: December 24, 2021 9:52:51 am
PelePele helped Brazil win the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups. (File)

Brazilian soccer great Pelé was released from a Sao Paulo hospital but will continue being treated for a colon tumor.

“Edson Arantes do Nascimento was discharged from the Israelita Albert Einstein on Thursday,” the hospital said in a statement.

“The patient remains stable and will continue having treatment on the colon tumor that was identified in September.”

Pele, 81, was hospitalized at the start of December for sessions of chemotherapy.

He was also previously hospitalized for almost a month after having surgery to remove the tumor.

Later on Thursday, Pelé posted a picture on social media from his younger days and said, “the smiling photo is not for nothing. As I promised you, I will spend Christmas with my family. I’m coming back home. Thanks for all the kind messages.”

Pele helped Brazil win the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups and is his country’s all-time leading scorer with 77 goals in 92 matches.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement