Fan violence mars Napoli’s Italian Cup win over Fiorentina

Goals from Lorenzo Insigne and Dries Mertens helped the southern side to their second Cup victory in three years.

By: Reuters | Rome | Updated: May 5, 2014 5:42:18 pm
Napoli fans threw flares and clashed with police ahead of the Italian Cup final, leaving three injured. The match was delayed by 45 minutes. AP Napoli fans threw flares and clashed with police ahead of the Italian Cup final, leaving three injured. The match was delayed by 45 minutes. (AP)

Napoli beat Fiorentina 3-1 to win their fifth Italian Cup on Saturday in a match that kicked off 45 minutes late after three fans were shot, one critically, in an incident near Rome’s Olympic Stadium.

A first half brace from Italy international Lorenzo Insigne and a late strike from Dries Mertens helped the southern side, who finished with 10 men, to their second Cup victory in three years.

Insigne’s goals in the 11th and 17th minutes put Fiorentina on the back foot but Juan Vargas brought his side back into the game just before the half hour with a fantastic volley. Mertens then added Napoli’s third in injury time.

Fiorentina took the game to their rivals in the second half, with Giuseppe Rossi making a first appearance since Jan. 5 as a 69th-minute substitute, but Napoli held on despite Gokhan Inler’s 79th minute sending off.

“The most important thing tonight is the performance we saw on the pitch. We showed we wanted to win and went out and delivered,” Napoli manager Rafa Benitez told reporters.
“It seemed at the start that everything was going to be easy for us. But Fiorentina are a strong side, they hit back and but it in the end it was a great result for us.

Fiore coach Vincenzo Montella who felt the match was overshadowed by the trouble ahead of the game. “My biggest regret is not being able to enjoy the final as I should have been able to due to what happened before the match. I think that was the case for everyone.”

Danger of suspension

The match had looked in danger of being cancelled as news of the shooting filtered through. Police said in a statement that the incident did not appear to be linked to broader clashes in the Tor di Quinto area, with rival supporters throwing firecrackers and other objects at each other before the game.

A large section of the Napoli supporters watched the match in almost complete silence in protest. As organisers and Napoli midfielder Marek Hamsik moved towards the fans to talk with hardcore ‘ultra’ leaders about whether the game should go ahead, they were pelted with flares and smoke bombs.

Piero Grasso, the president of Italy’s Senate who was at the stadium to present the trophy at the end of the match, declared those responsible were “delinquents, not supporters.
“A game of football cannot be turned into a war between rival gangs,” he said.

Insigne marks presence

Despite the ugly atmosphere, it was a beautiful goal that opened the scoring with Hamsik bursting away on the break before slipping the ball to Insigne, who curled in his sixth goal of the season off the post.

He had his seventh only five minutes later, this time meeting Gonzalo Higuain’s misplaced squared pass first time with a scuffed left foot strike that deflected off Nenad Tomovic and past Fiorentina keeper Noberto Neto.

Fiore regrouped and got back into the game in the 28th minute thanks to a superb back-heeled flick on from Josip Ilicic which Vargas met with a thumping volley that flew past Pepe Reina.

Mertens secured the title, drilling home a smart left-foot finish to send the Naples fans wild with joy. Some also spilled on to the pitch to celebrate and taunt the Fiorentina supporters.

Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App