The third ODI of the India-West Indies series, scheduled to be played in Visakhapatnam, has been called off because of cyclone Hudhud which hit the east coast of the country on Sunday.
With Tuesday’s game being abandoned, the five-match series has been reduced to a four-match one. The players will now head directly to Dharamsala for what was originally the fourth ODI. Earlier on Sunday, BCCI joint-secretary Anurag Thakur said chances of having game in Visakhapatnam were very slim.
“Looking at the current situation in Vishakapatnam, BCCI has advised the Indian and West Indies teams to stay in Delhi. BCCI feels its highly unlikely to have a game in Vizag,” he said.
Thakur was later quoted by ESPNcricinfo as said that while the Andhra Cricket Association was confident of hosting the ODI on Tuesday but “due to extreme weather conditions” BCCI decided to call it off to avoid any risk. “Due to extreme weather conditions, the BCCI has had to cancel the [third] ODI. It is disappointing but we cannot overcome natural calamities,” Thakur said. “Even though the host association was hopeful if weather cleared, the BCCI didn’t want to take any risk,” he had said.
The cancellation of the Vishakapatnam game was the latest glitch in series that has had its share of obstacles. Only a few days back, airline connectivity issues from Vishakapatnam to Dharamshala had cast the latter ODI venue in doubt.