Former India captain Sourav Ganguly, who reportedly played a ‘game-changing’ hand in appointing Anil Kumble as the head coach of the Indian cricket team, reacted to The Indian Express story — Ganguly wasn’t there when I was interviewed: Shastri — saying the interview (process) was a “confidential” matter. Ganguly, according to Ravi Shastri, was absent, when the latter had been interviewed by the BCCI-nominated four-member panel.
“Well, actually he wasn’t there,” Shastri told this paper on Friday as he was asked: ‘You mention Sachin, Laxman and Sanjay Jagdale. No questions from Ganguly’?
Reacting to this question on Saturday, Ganguly said: “The (coach selection) interview is absolutely confidential. I don’t want to talk about Shastri’s comment. You should also ask the other members of the (cricket) advisory committee.”
Shastri spoke about his disappointment at the snub. “I was very disappointed. Disappointment because the hard work entire unit had put in in the last 18 months. To see where they were when the support staff and I took over and to where they reached in 18 months makes me feel proud. They got up, threw punches and ended up where they were. No 1 in Test cricket, No 1 in T20, No 2 in ODI. You can’t ask for more.”
Ganguly, the CAB president, said. Shastri’s interview was conducted between 5 and 6pm (IST) at Taj Bengal on Tuesday, when Ganguly had dropped in at Eden to attend the CAB working committee meeting. He left to rejoin the process around 6.30 in the evening.
The former India team director didn’t appear in person, joining from Bangkok via video linkup instead. He was considered to be a strong favourite until Anil Kumble threw his hat into the ring.
The latter bagged the job despite not making the 21-member BCCI shortlist as the chart had been pruned from the list of 57 probables.
On the sidelines, Sanjay Bangar and Abhay Sharma have been appointed assistant coaches for India’s upcoming tour of West Indies that starts with a tour game on July 9.