Beverage giant PepsiCo has sent a notice to the Indian cricket board expressing its intention to withdraw from the IPL as title sponsor because of the controversy surrounding the spot-fixing case. Sources said the company has said in its notice that the decision was related to issues that have brought the game into “disrepute”.
It is reliably learnt that PepsiCo has informed the IPL’s chief operating officer Sundar Raman about its intention to withdraw from the title sponsorship for which it had paid Rs 396 crore ($71.77 million) for the period 2013-2017. Raman is believed to have informed newly elected BCCI president Shashank Manohar about the development.
- BCCI mulling mini-IPL for women cricketers despite low turnout in Mumbai exhibition game
- IPL 2018 playoff matches likely to shift to 7 PM time slot
- After Express report on Pepsi displeasure, BCCI gets Vivo to sponsor IPL
- BCCI working committee has a lot on its plate
- BCCI failed to act in a fair and transparent manner: PepsiCo in no mood to relent
- Pepsi’s intention to withdraw from IPL is a big blow to BCCI: Top cricket administrators
Sources in the IPL and BCCI confirmed to The Indian Express that PepsiCo has decided to cut its ties with the IPL. The company did not respond to calls and texts seeking comment. PepsiCo had previously hinted that it was considering such a move.
“Last season, Pepsi wanted to withdraw, especially in the aftermath of the spot-fixing case but the BCCI managed to convince it to stick on for another year. However, this time it was firm that it will not continue its association with the IPL, more so after the Lodha Committee recommended the suspension of Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals. The conflict of interest issues also had an impact,” said an IPL source.
The BCCI will take up PepsiCo’s notice during its working committee meeting in Mumbai on October 18.