India ODI captain MS Dhoni starred in the ‘Cricket for Heroes’ charity match played at The Oval on Thursday.
Dhoni in his true style helped Heroes XI chased down the total of 158/6 posed by the Rest of World XI (ROW) with three balls to spare. The Ranchi dasher was adjudged the Man of the Match for his unbeaten 38.
The winning team. pic.twitter.com/9pl88VTQWB
— Cricket For Heroes (@CricketforH4H) September 17, 2015
Earlier, ROW XI batted first and thanks to the brisk start by Mathew Hayden and Brendon McCullum were able to score 76 runs in the first 10 overs. Mahela Jaywardena helped them march to a respectable total of 158.
- The Mahi Way: The outsider who took on Indian cricket’s high and mighty
- MS Dhoni dropped from T20 squad, Rishabh Pant retained
- India vs West Indies: Rishabh Pant makes ODI debut, receives cap from MS Dhoni
- In story of my life, MS Dhoni will be the defining chapter: Hong Kong’s golden arm, Ehsan Khan
- Asia Cup 2018: ‘Bowling karega, ya bowler change karein?’: MS Dhoni snaps at Kuldeep Yadav; watch video
- MS Dhoni Foundation receives 20,000 pounds from T20 fundraiser
Heroes, riding high on the strong stand of Andrew Strauss and Virender Sehwag, scored 63 runs in the powerplay but lost a couple of wickets and found themselves needing 82 in the final 10 overs.
— Cricmates (@Cricmates) September 17, 2015
Here Dhoni stepped up and alongside Major Storm Green of the British Army, reduced the asking rate and propelled their side to victory.
The match was organised to raise charity for the Brirish Army soldiers who were injured in the line of duty and, according to reports, by the time match ended 3,00,000 British pounds were already raised.