Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who has been on a self-imposed sabbatical ever since the conclusion of the World Cup in July, will apparently take a call on his future after next year’s Indian Premier League (IPL), an unnamed source told PTI.
Speaking to PTI, the unnamed source revealed on Tuesday that the former India captain will put an end to the speculation over his career next summer. Dhoni missed out on the tour to West Indies and the home series against South Africa and Bangladesh.
“If at all Dhoni will take a call on his future, it will only be after the IPL. You can’t stop speculation as he is such a big player. He is in the best shape possible fitness-wise and has been training hard for the last one month,” the source told PTI.
“However the number of competitive games he will play before the IPL will be decided in due course,” he added.
The 38-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman, who last played an international match against New Zealand in the World Cup semi-final, will skip the upcoming home assignment against West Indies. The clashes will start on December 6 and comprise three T20Is and three ODIs.
MSK Prasad, the chairman of the selection committee, had earlier said that the panel has “moved on” from the topic of Dhoni’s retirement and has explicitly expressed their intent to promote more new blood ahead of next year’s T20 World Cup in Australia.
In an attempt to not fuel the rumours, Dhoni has remained tight-lipped about his future course of action. But, he has been spotted training with Jharkhand’s under-23 team in Ranchi a few days back
“You know champions don’t finish quickly,” he had stated when he took over as the Board President last month.
A legend in his own accord, Dhoni led India to two world titles — the 2007 World T20 in South Africa and the 2011 ODI World Cup at home. He has played 90 Tests, 350 ODIs and 98 T20 Internationals for India, accumulating over 17,000 runs.
(with PTI inputs)