MS Dhoni, who turned 34 on Tuesday, has achieved great feats during his 10-year long career but here’s a quick look at the year gone by…
* Dhoni flew to England after his 33rd birthday. India convincingly lost the Test series 1-3 but got a lot of praise for the famous Lord’s win. In the ODIs, Men in Blue outclassed the Three Lions 4-1.
* Dhoni returned to his second home, Chennai, for the Champions League T20 in September-October. With CSK, the captain won the title for the second time. He now has two IPL and two CLT20 titles.
* India hosted West Indies in October and won the series 2-1 with Dhoni as captain. (West Indies withdrew from the series after the 4th ODI)
* Dhoni decided to give the India-Sri Lanka series a miss because of an injured thumb.
* Then came the all important tour to Australia. Dhoni joined the team before the second Test. Apart from the aggressive game India played, the series will be remembered for something else. Dhoni, for one last time donned the Test whites for India. He retired after the third Test against Australia in Melbourne.
* After the tri-series against Australia and England in Australia, Dhoni decided to stay back with the team. In the meantime, his wife Sakshi gave birth to their first child, a baby girl. The couple later named the child as Ziva.
* The World Cup was one of the high points of Dhoni’s career earlier this year where he lead the team to seven consecutive wins before losing the semi-final against eventual champions Australia.
* Then came the IPL where Dhoni was not so lucky this time. CSK reached the final but lost to Mumbai Indians.
* Last month, Dhoni played against Bangladesh but the team had to suffer a 1-2 ODI series loss.