An Indian was reportedly arrested from the team hotel of the Indian cricket team in Harare on charges of rape. Hours after initial reports, which claimed the arrested person was an Indian cricketer, sources told news agency ANI that the report is false and no cricketer is involved.
“Report is false, no Indian cricketer involved. An Indian affiliated with one of the sponsors has been arrested, he denied the charge and said he is ready for a DNA test to prove his innocence,” a source told ANI, adding that the Indian ambassador in Zimbabwe is following the matter closely.
New Zimbabwe, a news portal, quoted Police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba confirming that an Indian national had been arrested.
- Pakistan vs Zimbabwe 2nd ODI Highlights: Pakistan beat Zimbabwe by 9 wickets
- England players to be questioned by detectives over spot-fixing sting operation
- Lalchand Rajput wants to replicate Afghanistan success with Zimbabwe
- Indian national arrested in Zimbabwe absolved of all charges
- Website reports on rape charges rattle Indian cricket team in Zimbabwe
- No Indian cricket team member involved in rape case in Zimbabwe, says BCCI president Anurag Thakur
“We have investigated and forwarded the case to the courts for determination and we wait the outcome. He appeared in court today,” the report quoted the official as saying. We could not independently verify the report.
The identity of the Indian national could not be ascertained. The report further claimed that searches were underway at The Meikles Hotel.
More details are awaited.