Updated: June 10, 2015 9:23:02 pm
Statistical highlights of the day one of the one-off cricket Test between India and Bangladesh on Wednesday.
* Shikhar Dhawan (150 not out off 158 balls) recorded his third century in Tests – his first vs Bangladesh. His first two centuries in Tests were – 187 vs Australia at Mohali in March 2013 and 115 vs New Zealand at Auckland in February 2014.
* Dhawan is the first batsman to post an innings of 150 in Tests at Fatullah, surpassing the 144 by Adam Gilchrist (Australia) vs Bangladesh in 2006.
* Murali Vijay (89 not out off 178 balls) registered his 11th fifty in Tests – his first against Bangladesh. He enjoys an excellent record in his last five Tests totalling 571 runs at an average of 71.37 in nine innings, including a century and five fifties.
* Dhawan and Vijay were involved in a stand of 239 (unbroken) – the highest partnership for any wicket in Tests at Fatullah, surpassing the 187 for the second wicket between Habibul Bashar and Shahriar Nafees for Bangladesh vs Australia in 2006. The stand is the second highest by Dhawan-Vijay pair next only to the 289 vs Australia at Mohali in March 2013.
* Overall, four stands of 200 or more have been registered for India for the first wicket in Tests away from home – two against England and one each vs Pakistan and Bangladesh. In all, 12 stands of 200-plus have been registered for the first wicket for India in Tests.
* A Test match is being played in the month of June for the first time on Bangladesh soil. India had last played a
one-off Test vs Bangladesh fifteen years ago at Bangabandhu National Stadium in Dhaka in November 2000.
* Dhawan and Vijay have become the sixth Indian opening pair to amass 1000 runs in Tests – their aggregate being 1161 (ave.50.47) in 24 innings, including two centuries and three fifty-plus.
* The 239-run unbroken stand is India’s highest for the first wicket vs Bangladesh, eclipsing the 175 (unbroken) between Wasim Jaffer and Dinesh Karthik at Mirpur in May 2007.
* The unbroken stand is India’s first partnership of 100 or more in almost four and half years for the first wicket in away Tests – the last was 137 between Gautam Gambhir and Virender Sehwag vs South Africa at Centurion in December 2010.
* Five century stands have been registered for the first wicket for India vs Bangladesh in Tests.
* Vijay-Dhawan pair became the second opening Indian pair to be involved in two stands of 200-plus in Tests – the first pair being Gautam Gambhir and Virender Sehwag. In only four innings in the sub-continent for the opening wicket, Vijay-Dhawan pair has totalled 647 runs at an average of 215.66, including two double century stands and a fifty-plus.
* Bangladesh became the tenth team to host 50 Tests or more. The top three nations being England (494), Australia (398) and India (244).
* Against Bangladesh, Indian opening pairs average 103.10 – the highest by them against any country.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.