The Indian cricket board has decided to scrap the IPL opening ceremony, the Bollywood-style extravaganza that previously cost close to Rs 30 crore.
This was one of the key decisions taken during the IPL governing council meeting Monday. In another move, it was decided that the league will henceforth have a fourth umpire to focus only on no-balls.
Speaking to The Indian Express, a BCCI official said: “The opening ceremonies are a waste of money. The cricket fans don’t seem to be interested, and the performers have to be paid a lot.”
Over the years, a number of Bollywood stars and international pop stars, like Katy Perry, Akon and Pit Bull, have performed at IPL opening ceremonies amid dazzling fireworks and laser shows.
Also Read | IPL players’ auction on December 19 in Kolkata
On the no-ball decision, the official said: “Last season, several players were given out and later recalled when replays showed the bowlers had overstepped. The idea is to reduce errors and controversies.” The next IPL auction will be held in Kolkata on December 19.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines