After the ball-tampering scandal involving Australian players, Cricket Australia board member Mark Taylor said on Sunday that two reviews sparked by the incident are ‘confronting’.
The reviews and 41 recommendations will be announced by the sports body on Monday. “I have seen the review. It will be hard-hitting, confronting for CA and for anyone who loves the game of cricket,” the former Test skipper said in an interview to Channel Nine. “Everything is on the table.”
Six months back, then coach Darren Lehmann quit while captain Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft were banned from the game after being found guilty of using sandpaper to tamper the flight of the ball on their tour to South Africa.
“All of us have had too much negativity around the game,” said Taylor. “Tomorrow is the opportunity to get it out there. There is no doubt there is a mandate, as I would look at it, in these reviews for CA to make some change, to get better at what we do, and also, most importantly, to get on with how we do business with people. And we have got to get that better. No doubt about that. I have said that before.”
CA chief executive James Sutherland, who departed last week after 17 years in charge, spoke on the public wrath over the issue, saying, “It’s a reminder to everyone as to how important cricket is… and the pedestal on which the Australian cricket team is held and the expectations that come with being an Australian cricketer.”