Peter Moores has left his role as England cricket coach, the England and Wales Cricket Board said on Twitter on Saturday. “Peter is a man of great integrity and has offered a huge amount to England cricket,” ECB managing director Tom Harrison said in a statement.
“He is admired by the players, his colleagues at the ECB and right across the game and deserves both our deep thanks and the widest recognition for his commitment and contribution.
“The last year has been a period of transition and rebuilding in which Peter has nurtured new talent, developed new players and laid the foundations for the new coaching structure to build on.
“This decision has been made as we focus on the future and our need to build the right approach and deliver success over the next five years within a new performance structure.”
Tough ask for Strauss
Earlier, Former England captain Andrew Strauss was named as the England and Wales Cricket Board’s (ECB) director of cricket on Saturday.
Strauss, 38, led England to two Ashes series victories and to the top of the world test rankings before retiring in 2012.
“Andrew’s breadth of ideas, his passion for England cricket and his proven leadership skills shone out,” ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said in a statement.
“He was an exceptional England captain, is an authoritative voice on the modern game and has a wealth of experience building successful teams.
“Andrew is also widely respected across the sporting landscape. We’re delighted he’s joining us at the ECB as we set out to create a new strategy for the game.”
Strauss’s first task after the sack of England coach Peter Moores, British media reported, would be to appoint a replacement before a two-test home series against New Zealand and the next Ashes battle with Australia
(By AP and Reuters)
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines