January 3, 2016 10:48:19 pm
The following are records set by England on the second day of the second Test against South Africa at Newlands on Sunday.
England declared on 629 for six wickets.
* Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow set a world record sixth wicket partnership with 399 runs, beating the previous best of 365 set by New Zealand’s Kane Williamson and BJ Watling against Sri Lanka last year.
* Stokes’ 258 was the most runs by a batsmen at number six, beating the previous best of 250 set by Australia’s Doug Walters against New Zealand in 1977.
* Stokes made the fastest 250 in Test history, reaching the landmark off 196 balls.
* Stokes hit 11 sixes, the most in a Test innings by an England cricketer. It was one short of Wasim Akram’s world record of 12 set against Zimbabwe in 1996.
* England made the highest ever first innings score at Newlands.
* Stokes fell four runs short of the highest Test total at Newlands. Stephen Fleming of New Zealand scored 262 against South Africa in 2006.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.