Bangladesh fast bowler Shahadat Hossain was sent to jail after surrendering on Monday on charges of torturing an 11-year-old housemaid, a day after his wife was arrested.
Bangladesh Cricket Board has suspended him from all forms of cricket until the charges are cleared.
Hossain submitted a bail petition before the court after his surrender, his lawyer Kazi Mohammad Nazibullah Hiru said. The court sent him to jail after rejecting the bail plea, a court official said.
- Bangladesh SC stays release of former PM Khaleda Zia on bail
- Bangladesh court acquits Shahdat Hossain in maid torturing case
- Bangladesh lift ban on Shahadat Hossain
- Bangladesh Cricket Board suspends Shahadat Hossain from all cricketing activities
- Bangladesh name Rubel Hossain for lone Test against India
- Bangladesh seamer Rubel Hossain gets bail, to remain part of World Cup 2015 squad
The couple went into hiding after the allegations surfaced last month.
The 29-year-old Hossain, who has played 38 tests and 51 ODI for Bangladesh, last played a test against Pakistan this year but was then dropped because of injuries.