Australia selectors have named three uncapped fast bowlers in the 15-man squad for the tour of South Africa starting later this month, as they assess options to replace spearhead Mitch Starc, who is being rested ahead of the southern summer.
Starc’s absence means Australia will be without the three pace bowlers who led the visitors to a 2-1 series victory on their last tour of South Africa in 2011. Express pacemen Mitchell Johnson has retired while Pat Cummins is injured.
To replace them, Australia has turned to Daniel Worrall and Joe Mennie, who both played for South Australia last season, and Chris Tremain who helped Victoria to the Sheffield Shield title last season with 36 wickets in the competition. Australia selector Rod Marsh said Tremain, Mennie and Worrall “all had terrific summers last year and have also impressed us during the recent Australia A series with consistent performances.” “They are young players with a bright future who thoroughly deserve their selection,” he said
The three uncapped quicks add to the bowling options to complement John Hastings and Scott Boland, along with allrounders Mitchell Marsh and James Faulkner.
Steve Smith will return to lead the team after missing the end of the just-completed tour to Sri Lanka. David Warner guided Australia to a 4-1 series win in the ODI series after having lost the test series 3-0.
Australia will open the upcoming tour with a one-day international against Ireland at Benoni on Sept. 27, followed by five ODIs against South Africa. The Proteas will travel to Australia for a three-test series in November.
Australia squad: Steve Smith (captain), David Warner, George Bailey, Scott Boland, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, John Hastings, Travis Head, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Joe Mennie, Chris Tremain, Matthew Wade, Daniel Worrall, Adam Zampa.