October 5, 2012 5:32:41 pm
India Against Corruption (IAC) anti-graft crusaders Arvind Kejriwal and father-son duo Prashant and Shanti Bhushan have alleged that K P Singh-led DLF Ltd extended undue favours to Sonia Gandhi’s son-in-law,Priyanka Gandhi’s husband Robert Vadra.
At a press conference here,Kejriwal and Bhushan alleged that Vadra had bought property worth crores of rupees between 2007 and 2010 with an “unsecured interest free loan” of Rs 65 crore given by DLF.
They claimed that Vadra had secured the loan from DLF to companies floated by him and his mother with a seed capital of just Rs 50 lakh.
43-year-old Vadra,married to Priyanka Gandhi,was not in the capital and sources close to him said there was no reaction for the moment.
These allegations triggered a political storm with the Congress dubbing it as “baseless and utterly irresponsible” while BJP demanded a probe.
Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari said that these are “baseless,misconceived and utterly irresponsible” allegations.
“Coming ahead of Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh elections,it shows that the so-called civil society groups are morphing themselves as a political party but it is nothing more than a B-Team of the BJP,” he told reporters.
A DLF spokesperson said the business relationship with Vadra is “completely transparent” and was conducted to “highest standards of ethics”.
Kejriwal and Bhusan claimed an analysis of the balance sheets and audit reports of the five companies run by Vadra showed that they had no income from any legitimate business activity except the interest derived from the DLF’s loans.
Demanding an independent probe into the whole issue,Kejriwal and Bhushan alleged that Vadra used the loan provided by DLF to buy 31 properties,including five flats from DLF itself with a market value of Rs 35 crore for a meagre Rs five crore.
They claimed that the market value of these properties was worth around Rs 500 crore.
The two activists,who have recently floated a political party,said the transactions of Vadra raised several questions,including why DLF gave such large unsecured loans and why should the company should sell its properties to him at throwaway prices on the basis of funds obtained from the real estate major.
They alleged that there could be quid pro quo between DLF and Vadra for favours to the company through Congress governments in Delhi ,Haryana and Rajasthan.
On its part,BJP spokesperson Ravishankar Prasad accused the Congress governments in the National Capital Region of giving away huge chunk of land to DLF as a quid pro quo for benefits given to the son-in-law of Congress president.
He sought answers to questions as to why DLF should “dole out” flats and land to Vadra. “If DLF was doing charity to Vadra,then does it do similar charity to others?” he said.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda said,”We have not favoured anyone. We have given the land through through internatinal bidding to the highest bidder in a transparent manner.”
Tewari said,”It is the worst kind of political chicanery. Those very forces that were responsible for attempts to malign Congress leadership in the 70s and 80s have now resurfaced in a new avatar.
* Arvind Kejriwal accuses Robert Vadra of corruption
* Prashant Bhushan hints at Priyanka Gandhi’s role in graft
* K P Singh’s DLF gave property to Vadra at low rate: Kejriwal
* DLF gave property to Vadra in return for land from Haryana Congress: Kejriwal
* Kejriwal says that Congress-led govts in Rajasthan,Haryana and Delhi colluded with the corporate to give a windfall to Vadra.
* DLF gave interest-free loan to Robert Vadra
* Vadra wealth has increased from a mere Rs 50 lakh to Rs 300 cr within the span of of 3 years.
* This was done through 12 front companies,6 created in 2012,that had no other transactions in their name.
* 350 acres of land was acquired by Congress govt in Haryana for public purpose which was subsequently given to DLF for building apartments: Prashant
* Vadra got 7 flats in Magnolia project and a 10,000 sq ft penthouse in another property: Prashant
* DLF gave property to Robert Vadra at 10-20% of its market value: Prashant
* Vadra also has property in Uttaranchal: Prashant
* Rs 89 lakh was paid by Vadra for a flat whose value was then Rs 25 crore and now it is 40 cr: Prashant
The trio promise that they will expose another politically powerful figure on October 10,this time from Mumbai.
In all the IAC has charged 15 ‘powerful’ people in the Union Cabinet,including PM Manmohan Singh with corruption.
Read full IAC report
INDIA AGAINST CORRUPTION
A-119,Kaushambi,Ghaziabad 201010,UP. Ph: firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Vadra acquires properties worth hundreds of crores from nothing.
What is the source of these funds?
In the last 4 years,Robert Vadra has gone on a property buying binge and has purchased at least 31 properties mostly in and around New Delhi,which even at the time of their purchase were worth several hundred crores An analysis of the balance sheets and audit reports of 5 companies set up by him (and owned exclusively by him and his mother) on or after 1/11/2007 show that the total share capital of these companies was just Rs 50 lakhs and these companies together had no income from any legitimate business activity (except by way of interest derived from interest free loans obtained from DLF).
Yet during 2007-2010 they have acquired properties which were worth well over Rs 300 crores even at their time of acquisition and are worth more than Rs 500 crore as of today.
The ostensible seed money for this acquisition is shown to have come from unsecured interest free loans from DLF Ltd (over 65 crore). The bulk of the properties are also purchased from DLF at a price which is shown far below the market price. Thus 7 flats in Magnolia apartments in DLF Gurgaon are purchased for a total of Rs 5.2 crores by Vadras companies when the market price of each flat at the time of acquisition was well over 5 crore and today its price is between 10 to 15 crore rupees per flat. Similarly a 10,000 sq feet apartment in DLF Aralias (Gurgaon) is shown to be purchased for Rs 89 lakhs when its market price at the time of purchase in 2010 was 20 crore rupees and today is more than 30 crore rupees. Not just that,a stake of 50% share in DLF owned hotel in Saket (DLF Hilton Garden Inn) is shown to be purchased for Rs 32 crore when the market value was well over Rs 150 crore. The detail of these properties,their acquisitions are in the accompanying note which refers to the balance sheets and audit reports of these companies which have been obtained from ROC.
This massive property buying spree by the son-in-law of the ruling dynasty in the country gives rise to several important questions:
1. Why should DLF give large unsecured interest free loans to Robert Vadra?
2. Why should DLF sell its properties to Vadra at throwaway prices and on the basis of funds obtained by Vadra from DLF itself?
3. It is well known that DLF has been given 350 acres of land by Haryana govt for the development of Magnolia project in Gurgaon (where Vadra was allocated 7 apartments) and has been given various other properties and benefits by the Congress governments in Haryana and Delhi. Is that the quid pro quo for DLF giving Vadra the seed money for the purchase of these massive properties worth hundreds of crores?
4. It is clear that there is a lot of unaccounted black money invested in these properties of Vadra. What is the source of these funds? Are illicit funds of the Congress party being funnelled into this property buying spree by the son-in-law of the dynasty?
5. The above acquisition of properties is only what has come to light from the documents submitted to ROC itself,and maybe just the tip of the iceberg. Preliminary information indicates that there are many other properties purchased by him. Its significant that 6 new companies have also been registered by him in 2012.
Prima facie the facts above show commission of offences under the prevention of corruption act as well offences under the Income Tax Act. Why are these ostensible offenses not being investigated?
All these questions need to be answered by a thorough independent investigation. Question is will such an investigation be done and who will do it? Will it be done by agencies controlled by the Government and hence by the ruling dynasty?
That is why one needs an independent Lokpal. Question is will it be conceded by those who risk going to jail as a result?
Details of 31 properties of Robert Vadras group of companies
1. 50% share in Hilton Garden Inn Hotel,Saket,New Delhi – 50% share Rs 31.7 crore – Sky Light Hospitality
2. 10,000 sqft apartment in DLF Aralias,Gurgaon – 1 flat Rs 89 lakhs – Sky Light Realty
3. Apartments in DLF Magnolia,Gurgaon – 7 flats Rs 5.2 crore for 7 flats – Sky Light Realty
4. Apartment in DLF Capital Greens,Delhi 1 flat 5 crore – Sky Light Realty
5. Plot in Greater Kailash II,New Delhi 1 plot of unknown size Rs 1.2 crores – Real Earth Estates
6. Land in Bikaner 161 acres of land Rs 1.02 crores – North India IT Parks
7. 6 additional land properties in Bikaner Unknown acreage Rs 2.43 crore – Real Earth Estates Pvt. Ltd.,Sky Light Realty Private Ltd.,Sky Light Hospitality
8. 1 property of land in Manesar Unknown acreage Rs 15.38 crores – Sky Light Hospitality Private
9. 1 property of land in Palwal Unknown acreage Rs 42 lakhs – Sky Light Realty
10. 2 properties of land in Hayyatpur Gurgaon Unknown acreage Rs 4 crore – Real Earth Estates Pvt. Ltd.,Sky Light Realty Private Ltd.
11. 6 properties of land in Hassanpur Unknown acreage Rs 76 lakhs – Real Earth Estates
12. 2 properties of land in Mewat (Haryana) Unknown acreage Rs 95 lakhs – Real Earth Estates Pvt. Ltd.
13. Agricultural land in undisclosed location Unknown acreage Rs 69 lakhs – Blue Breeze Trading Pvt. Ltd.
Total (approx) Rs 69.64 crore
Soni dares Kejriwal to give proof of charges against Vadra
Srinagar,Oct 5 (PTI) Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni today accused news channels of helping civil society activist Arvind Kejriwal to malign the image of people by airing his “unsubstantiated allegations of wrong-doings”.
“Kejriwal has floated a political party and wants to contest the elections in Delhi. To boost his image,he is levelling allegations without any proof and you (TV channels) are helping him by airing these allegations,” she told reporters here.
Soni said if Kejriwal has any proof of any wrong-doing by UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi’s son-in-law Robert Vadra,he should submit it to the concerned authorities for investigation.
“In public life,we have to be careful. We cannot level allegations without proof. If an accusing finger is pointed towards someone the other three are pointing towards oneself,” she said.
Asked if the government was ready for a CBI probe into the allegations that Vadra had got huge benefits from realty major DLF,Soni said she was not competent to order such a probe.
“Who am I?” she posed.
She said the transactions of the DLF and businessmen like Vadra were open to scrutiny as they regularly file income tax and wealth returns.
Reacting to Kejriwal expressing doubts over Income Tax department being effective in probing the allegations against Vadra,she said,”If the department can conduct raids across the country why not inquire into these allegations? Why does he not give proof?”
On the allegations leveled by the Gujarat Chief Minister against Sonia Gandhi,she said Narendra Modi has done several flip flops after realising that people of the country did not like raking up personal issues.
Initially,Modi raked up the expenses on medical treatment but later claimed that he was referring to cost incurred in foreign trips,she said,adding,”now he says it had nothing to do with Gandhi and he was putting questions to the Prime Minister”.
Cong backs Vadra in the face of Kejriwal’s allegations
Congress today backed to the hilt Robert Vadra,Sonia Gandhi’s son-in-law,in the wake of an allegation by civil society activists Arvind Kejriwal and Prashant Bhushan that he was hugely favoured by realty major DLF.
As the allegation created a political storm,AICC spokespersons as also several Union Ministers went ballistic against the “so-called civil society activists” dubbing the charges as “baseless and utterly irresponsible”.
The defence of 43-year-old Vadra from Congress came as Gandhi,along with party top brass including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh,was holding consultations at the party’s core group meeting which discussed among other things Narendra Modi’s claim about the travel expenses of the UPA chairperson and BJP’s campaign of “disinformation”.
“Those very forces that were responsible for attempts to malign Congress leadership in 1970s and 80s have now resurfaced in a new Avtar,” party spokesman Manish Tewari said.
He said the press conference of Kejriwal is “not even a poliltical conspiracy. It is worst kind of a political chicanery.”
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda also came out in support of Vadra.
“We have not favoured anyone. We have given the land through internatinal bidding to the highest bidder in a transparent manner,” Hooda told reporters here.
AICC asked all its spokespersons to strongly refute the charges made by activists against Vadra.
Asked whether a defamation case is being filed against Kejriwal,Tewari said private remedy is available to a private individual. “We are not going to second guess or comment,” he added.
Delhi govt rejects Kejriwal’s allegations on DLF land allotment
Delhi Government today strongly rejected charges of civil society activists Arvind Kejriwal and Prashant Bhushan that it has allotted land to realty major DLF which in turn allegedly favoured Robert Vadra.
Chief Secretary P K Tripathi termed the allegations as “factually incorrect,mischievous and misleading” and said Delhi government was not in the business of allotting land to private entities.
“Government of Delhi is not in the business of allotting land to private entities. The allegation that Delhi Government allotted land to DLF is factually incorrect,mischievous and misleading as alleged by Kejriwal,” Tripathi said.
Kejriwal and Bhushan alleged that Vadra had bought property worth crores of rupees between 2007 and 2010 with an “unsecured interest free loan” of Rs 65 crore given by DLF.
They alleged that Vadra used the loan to buy 31 properties,including five flats from DLF itself with a market value of Rs 35 crore for a meagre Rs five crore.
The two civil society activits,who have recently floated a political party,alleged that there could be quid pro quo between DLF and Vadra for favours to the company through Congress governments in Delhi,Haryana and Rajasthan.
“The allegation is aimed to malign and vilify the Delhi Government and has no substance,” Tripathi said.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines