Kids are known to be fussy when it comes to eating regular meals. Here are two delicious and healthy traditional delicacies, courtesy chef Ananya Banerjee, which you can cook for your kids.
1 cup Gobindo bhog rice, 1 cup roasted split skinless green gram, 2 tablespoons mustard oil, 1 bay leaf, 3-4 green cardamoms, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, 1 dried red chilli, 2 tablespoons scraped fresh coconut, 4 green chilies, slit, 1 cup diced mixed vegetables (cauliflower, beans, carrots, potatoes), 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon ginger paste, 1 tablespoon red chilli powder, Salt to taste, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 teaspoon ghee, 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, 8 cups water
1. Soak the rice and roasted green gram separately in sufficient water.
2. Heat mustard oil in a deep pan. Add bay leaf, cardamoms, cinnamon and cumin seeds and sauté till fragrant.
3. Add dried red chilli, coconut and green chillies and sauté for ½ minute. Add green gram and mixed vegetables. Add turmeric powder, ginger paste and chilli powder and mix well. Add rice. Add 8 cups water and salt and cook till vegetables, rice and green grams are cooked. Add sugar and mix.
4. Drizzle ghee and sprinkle garam masala powder and mix. Serve hot.
Mochar ghonto (dry spiced banana-blossoms preparation)
1 banana blossom (mocha) finely chopped, boiled and mashed, 3 tablespoons mustard oil, 2-3 bay leaves, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and cut into cubes, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon raisins, Salt to taste, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon ghee, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, 2 tablespoons scraped fresh coconut
1. Heat mustard oil in a pan, add bay leaves and cumin seeds and sauté till fragrant. Add potatoes and sauté till light brown.
2. Add boiled banana blossom and saute well. Add chilli powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder and mix well.
3. Add raisins, salt and sugar. Mix well and cook for a few minutes till everything is combined well. Add ghee, sprinkle garam masala powder and scraped coconut and mix lightly. Served best with plain white rice.