Are your child’s friends coming over for a party? Here are some easy recipes, courtesy Chef Sanjeev Ranjan, Marriott Kathmandu hotel that you can try at home.
Macaroni and Cheese
Unsalted butter (for the dish it is cooked in), 2 tbsp kosher salt, 1 pound (.45 kg) elbow macaroni
4 tbsp unsalted butter, 4 tbsp all-purpose flour (same flour used to make momos), 1 tsp kosher salt, 2 cups milk, 2 cups grated sharp, cheddar
1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1. For the macaroni: preheat the oven to 177 degrees Celsius. Butter a casserole dish.
2. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the salt and macaroni. Bring the water back to a boil and cook the macaroni until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain well.
3. For the cheese sauce: Meanwhile, melt the butter in a one-quart saucepan. Using a wire whisk, stir in the flour and salt, stirring and cooking over medium heat until the roux bubbles and the flour turns pale brown, about three minutes. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the milk and then whisk in the remaining one cup milk. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Add the cheese and stir until it melts. Add the drained macaroni to the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly.
4. For the topping: In a small bowl, stir the breadcrumbs with the butter until the crumbs are moistened.
5. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the prepared baking dish and top with the buttered breadcrumbs. Bake until the dish bubbles around the edges, about 15 minutes.
12 tbsp unsalted butter, softened, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 6 large egg whites (3/4 cup), 3/4 cup milk, 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 177 degrees Celsius. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for about five minutes, until light and fluffy.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Combine egg whites, milk and vanilla extract.
3. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to butter mixture then add half the milk mixture. Continue to alternate beginning and ending with flour mixture. Scrape bowl and beater often.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and smooth top with a metal spatula. bake cake(s) about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean. Cool in pan on a rack for five minutes, then turn out onto a rack, remove paper and let cool completely.
Chicken breast 600 gm, egg 2 no, flour 50 gm, iceberg lettuce 150 gm, mayonnaise 60 ml, french fries 700 gm, tomato 90 gm, burger bun 20 no, salt 10 gm, peppercorn black 10 gm, gruyere cheese slice 100 gm, gherkin 100 gm, oil 250 ml, breadcrumbs 250 gm
1. Grill patty on the griller. Cut burger bun into half horizontal side. And toast towards the cut side.
2. Apply mayonnaise on bun, put cooked patty on top of the burger base.
3. Put cheese slice on the top of the cooked patty and put under salamander to melt.
4. Arrange lettuce, tomato slice and gherkin on melted cheese. Close with the other cut bun.
5. Serve hot with french fries.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines