Swami Vivekananda Jayanti 2019: Here’s a look at some of the things he said about religion during his famous speech in Chicago in 1893.
Swami Vivekananda’s historic speech delivered at the Parliament of the World’s Religions on September 11, 1893, is etched in our memories. The issues addressed in the speech by Vivekananda, the meaning of religion and the importance of restoring peace and harmony in the world, are values that children today need to inculcate too. Here are some quotes from the speech that parents can share with and explain to their children:
1. “I thank you in the name of the most ancient order of monks in the world; I thank you in the name of the mother of religions, and I thank you in the name of millions and millions of Hindu people of all classes and sects.”
2. “I am proud to belong to a religion which has taught the world both tolerance and universal acceptance. We believe not only in universal tolerance but we accept all religions as true.”
3. “I am proud to belong to a nation which has sheltered the persecuted and the refugees of all religions and all nations of the earth.”
4. “Sectarianism, bigotry, and its horrible descendant, fanaticism, have long possessed this beautiful earth…Had it not been for these horrible demons, human society would be far more advanced than it is now.”
5. “I fervently hope that the bell that tolled this morning in honour of this convention may be the death-knell of all fanaticism, of all persecutions with the sword or with the pen, and of all uncharitable feelings between persons wending their way to the same goal.”
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines