By Samrat Reddy
You’re craving for a luscious satisfying drink. But oh dear, your bucket list has health and fitness as a priority. You’ve got smoothies and milkshakes, but wait, they’re not the same thing. How do you choose?
Let’s learn the absolute truth about smoothies and milkshakes. Smoothies are 100 per cent natural beverages made from fresh fruits and vegetables, which are locally sourced from farmers. They do not contain any added preservatives, artificial flavours or concentrates. Milkshakes are cold beverages usually made of milk, ice cream, whipped cream, chocolates or coffee. These contain factory produced syrups, preservatives, concentrates and other artificial flavours.
Smoothies help detox, recharge and refresh the body while milkshakes add calories due to its highly fattening components. Fruits and vegetables in smoothies act as detoxifying agents and help cleanse the body. These smoothies have great health benefits due to their nutritious elements like vitamins, minerals, iron, fibre and proteins. They also help in weight loss and reenergise the body to attain a better immune system. Milkshakes are heavy and high in carbohydrates, fats, and sugars. These might result in weight gain too.
Smoothies are a great option for kids as well as their parents. Following are some benefits of smoothies for kids.
- Kids tend not to eat fruits, so making them drink smoothies is the best way to give them nutrition and vitamins.
- Smoothies come in a blend of two or more fruits and vegetables and have all essential vitamins required for growth of the body.
- To make it even more interesting, fun to drink and absolutely delicious, these smoothies also come along with nuts (almonds and cashews), dates, figs, chia seeds, cornflakes, muesli, etc.
- Smoothies are really filling for kids and make them used to a healthy lifestyle/eating habits from a very young age, instead of cold drinks, chocolate drinks, coffee and other unhealthy drinks that contain preservatives and sugar.
- In case a kid skips his/her breakfast, lunch or dinner, meal smoothies are a great replacement allowing complete nutrition (healthy fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, iron and minerals).
Smoothies are not just a healthy drink, but a lifestyle. Grab a smoothie and turn on the nutrient powerhouse in your body. Hydrate yourself with the abundant fibres in farm fresh fruits and vegetables. Drink your veggies and boost your immune system and heart health. Stay young, fit and beautiful, with power-packed smoothies.
(The writer is Founding & Managing Director, Drunken Monkey.)
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines