A mom from Kansas, US, whose infant choked on an apple, is warning other parents to learn valuable CPR skills. She was in the kitchen, about to get her daughter’s room ready for bedtime, when she heard her eight-month-old son cough. She turned to see that it was a piece of apple slice that was blocking his airway.
Courtney Patterson-Manfredi posted on Instagram, “I was in the kitchen with Stelio, giving him a large apple slice as he played in the open fridge door. I had my back turned away doing dishes when I heard him struggling to cough something up.”
She wrote, “I immediately turned to him sweeping him off the floor and patting him on the back. I could see that was not clearing his airway. …I put him on my knee and started back blows. I knew not to finger sweep his mouth for the fear of further lodging the object in his airway.”
View this post on Instagram
She could see Stelio “foaming at the mouth and large amounts of snot coming from his nose as I had him on his stomach in my arms.” She dialled 911, but thankfully, managed to dislodge the tiny piece of apple with her consistent “hard back blows”.
The anxious mom encouraged all other parents to get safety training. She said, “This all happened in what felt like 10 minutes but was two minutes. ..I have never been so scared in my life. ..No advanced practice nursing, Heimlich maneuver video, or CPR class prepares you for the trauma of doing it on your own child. I am still in shock. I feel guilty.”
She warned, “Please YouTube CPR and Heimlich or go take a class. You never think this will happen to you or your little (one). I hope it never does.”