October 30, 2019 3:30:52 pm
Most babies like to drink lukewarm milk, even though warming it does not really add any nutritional value as per experts. Now that you have started feeding your baby from the bottle, here are some tips to warm your baby’s bottle safely.
1. Fill a bowl with warm water and place your baby’s bottle in it for not more than 15 minutes. Make sure to seal the bottle with a cap when you keep it in water. The water should not be too hot or you will end up overheating the bottle and the milk.
2. The ideal temperature of the milk should be at around body temperature, which is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. A simple way to check the temperature is by dropping a little milk onto the inside of your wrist. If the milk feels too warm, let it cool; if it is too cold, warm it up a little more.
Subscriber Only Stories
3. You can also use an electric bottle-warmer to heat the bottle to the perfect temperature for your baby.
5. If you have frozen breast milk, defrost it to room temperature by running it under warm water.
6. Do not boil or heat the milk in a microwave or stovetop since it can lead to overheating or uneven heating. Heating plastic bottles in the microwave can also lead to health issues. Harvard Health mentions in an article that when food in a plastic container is microwaved, Bisphenol A (BPA) and phthalates may leak into the food which can be harmful.
7. Your baby may not be able to finish the whole bottle in one go. But reheating the leftover amount of milk is not recommended. Harmful bacteria from the baby’s mouth can be introduced into the bottle while feeding which can grow and multiply. So, in case your baby is unable to drink the whole quantity, discard whatever milk is left.
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.