* We do not know whether Justice Markandey Katju had got a survey done to come to the conclusion that 90 per cent of Indians vote along caste and communal lines and believe in astrology and are,therefore,fools (The 90%,IE,April 9). If it is so,we will be interested in knowing further details of the survey. If there has been no such survey,then the views expressed by him are just subjective. I am not certain that the chairmanship of the Press Council of India entitles him to be an expert on the subject about which he has written so much. He has also provided a solution to abject poverty a change of mindset. But the learned justice has not provided any practical way to do so.
Shashi Bhushan Ghaziabad
* Apropos Beginning Sunday (IE,April 9),though India-Pakistan relations have never been smooth,the road,howsoever bumpy,never reached a dead end. Both sides have their limitations and grouses,but they have also kept the doors open. Asif Ali Zardari and Manmohan Singh should show real leadership,which lies in creating a congenial political atmosphere and support for their ideas in their countries.
Ved Guliani Hisar
* Apropos Lunch with the enemy (IE,April 8),neither is Asif Zardari an enemy of Manmohan Singh nor Singh of Zardari. Hence,the headline was most inappropriate to describe the nature of their lunch meeting. There are instances of courtesies being extended to enemies. For example,British General Montgomery invited Nazi General Von Thoma for dinner at his camp at the height of the Egyptian campaign. In the British parliament,some MPs questioned Montgomerys invitation. Winston Churchill removed the sting from the questions by saying that once he too had dinner with Montgomery Montgomery was known for his frugal eating habits!
M.M. Singh Ahmedabad
* This is in response to Now,Panag alleges racket in procurement for Siachen (IE,April 8). The Indian Armys activity has been reduced to a mudslinging match. Apart from a drastic change in the nature of the governments engagement with the army,what we really need is an army chief like General K.S. Thimayya or Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw,someone who leads from the front and places the Indian Army over self and reaches out to his colleagues,taking them into confidence.
S.M. Ahmed Nagpur
* West Bengals school education syllabus committees recommendation to change the history syllabus which focused too much on Marx and Engels smacks of the Trinamools anti-Left obsession. Stereotyping Marx and Engels as irrelevant is unwise.
Subhajit Chandra New Delhi