February 9, 2009 11:11:03 pm
• Kalyan Singhs efforts to forge an alliance with the SP are a blatant example of unscrupulous power-mongering. His attempts to address UP Muslims by shouldering the blame for the Babri Masjid demolition are hypocritical and sound ridiculous. Indian politics is not a lesson in morality but unscrupulous compromise based on opportunism and personal calculation.
• Cynical compromises such as Kaylan Singhs alliance with Mulayam Singh should not come as a surprise to us. Former Shiv Sena leaders have embraced the Congress and Sharad Pawars NCP. Karunanidhis DMK and Ram Vilas Paswans LJP were constituents of the BJP-led NDA. They joined the UPA after the 2004 elections. The secular-communal divide is a thing of the past. Contemporary Indian politics is just blatant opportunism.
• China has placed us on the defensive by alleging that they forced our submarine to surface. India should respond to this Chinese claim by simply presenting the Indian version of the encounter. Incidentally,Chinese warships are in the Gulf of Aden,on the lookout for pirates. Till date,they havent caught any,have they?
• This refers to 26/11: India says ISI…. Pakistan has learnt a lesson from Indian politics: that of the blame game. It has now dragged Dhaka into the Mumbai attacks. If Pakistan claims to have solid proof of HuJIs involvement,which is contrary to Indias findings,it must substantiate those claims.
• Googles services have been wonderful in allowing us the access to the mysterious universe. Google is,after all,an organisation known for innovations. The question is whether all of us are innocent knowledge-seekers. True,there are people with sinister motives everywhere. Perhaps given the technological innovations,Google will one day develop software that enables us to see the map of a persons mind and attitudes completely!
• This refers to Soli Sorabjees On whose word?. The present form of the three-member Election Commission is an improvement on the earlier single-member one. From the public perspective,this evolution of the EC has certainly been a welcome development. In fact,Indias EC is a model for other,smaller democratic states.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.