January 26, 2009 1:03:48 am
• This refers to To quiet the west. Now that the inauguration euphoria has worn out,it remains to be seen what Obamas policies towards India,particularly his approach to jihadi terror from Pakistan and Kashmir,are. The increased aid to Pakistan can be understood by the obvious strategic interests the US has in stabilising Afghanistan. But,what does this mean to us?
M.C. Joshi Lucknow
The first step
• Obama has placed Pakistan on top of his foreign policy agenda. The increased amount of aid to Pakistan in tackling terror,both in Pakistan and Afghanistan,needs to be monitored in order to ensure that it is being utilised in a fair and accountable manner. Transparency is of primary importance. There might be fears emanating from India and if these can be justified,the US should set up an oversight mechanism to monitor the use of aid. It appears as though the Obama administration is keen on solving world issues through a peaceful approach whilst taking into account the mutual interest of both countries.
Abdun Nasir Ali Delhi
• The infighting within the BJP has been increasing at an alarming rate. A national party,which boasts of being a party with a difference,has become a party of differences as the Kalyan Singh issue goes to show. Developments within the BJP indicate that it is a clash of egos among the stalwarts of the party and perhaps these are signs of irreparable cracks. If the partys rank and file do not resolve their disputes it is highly unlikely that Advani will reach Delhi. Suman Kukal
Ray of light
• This refers to Metro breaks through the tunnel. The DMRC stands as an example of industry amidst recent news of corporate frauds. The efficient construction of pillars,tunnels and bridges alongside the roads of Delhi teeming with vehicles reflects the resolve of DMRC employees. The Metro success saga shows what an amalgam of entrepreneurship and political will can achieve when it comes to the building of mammoth infrastructure.
Actions not words
• Obamas speech has been compared to words said by Lincoln and other great pioneers. However,what needs to be realised is that Obama has a stupendous task ahead of him.
He has a lot more on his agenda than the delivery of lofty speeches. Let us wait and see what he can actually deliver.
• Kalyan Singhs recent actions tarnish the image of the BJP. The BJP is known as a non-dynastic party. When senior leaders of the party promote members of their family to positions of power,the non-dynastic claim fades away. It seems as though they are interested in promoting their scions rather than ideology.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.