• Taliban activities in northwest Pakistan have not abated. Despite the olive branch extended by the Pakistani government to Sufi Mohammad,suicide bombers have repeatedly struck against military,police and civilian targets. Pakistan was one of the parties who helped create and foster the Taliban and now the menace has turned against it. It is frightening that the Pakistani government has not realised the full extent of the dangers it faces by continuing with its policy of appeasing militants.
R.J. Khurana Bhopal
• The BJPs idea of screening campaign speeches is a step in the right direction. It ought to prevent violations of the model code of conduct as well as hate- mongering. It should create a mechanism that will preclude controversy.
• This refers to Cong jolted by partners north,south. The Congress also seems to have been jolted by Advanis call for a direct debate between himself and the PM the incumbent and the PM hopeful. Manmohan Singh should accept the challenge to debate matters of concern and clarify issues. Both the national parties can then present their cases before the public from the same podium. On the whole,public debates will help the country in the long run.
Kedarnath R. Aiyar
• In a change of style,Manmohan Singh seems to have realised that offence is the best form of defence. Thus he fired the first salvo at L.K. Advani while releasing the party manifesto. This has now developed into a war of words between the two. Questions do arise though over his decision to not contest the Lok Sabha polls: Manmohan Singh is laying himself open to criticism by those who argue he lacks the confidence to face the people.
H. R. B. Satyanarayana
• A close observer of the political scene for five decades,Im now convinced that governance in India has been unfaithful to the Constitution in spirit which amounts to a betrayal of the public. During an election year,every political party,through its manifesto,makes a large number of promises. These promises will of course never be fulfilled. It is the people who have saved this country from disaster,time and again. Despite their bitter experiences,they continue to have faith in the democratic mechanism.
• Credit should be given to M.S. Dhoni,et al for their victory over the New Zealanders. Given that this was Indias first victory in Test matches since 1976 in New Zealand,the Indian team looks good enough to continue the winning streak. Its time for Team India to attain the highest Test playing rank.
S.N. Kabra Mumbai
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines