January 23, 2009 11:04:28 pm
• This refers to C. Raja Mohans Our Obama moment. We now must make the attempt to ensure stability and maintain peace in South Asia through mutual cooperation with Obama. This should not be missed due to internal bickering and finger-pointing. India should explore Obamas propositions and should work vigorously to ensure that Obama receives the cooperation he is seeking.
E. S. Haeems
• This refers to US strikes Russia deal on route to Afghanistan bypassing Pakistan. The new supply route channelled by US General David Petraeus through Russia will decrease American dependence on Pakistan and it has been this dependence that has previously prevented Washington from pushing Islamabad too hard on terrorism. This new development will also benefit India in its fight against terrorism emanating from Pakistan.
Reflections on Bush
• Bush has left the White House as one of the most infamous presidents in history,yet the question remains: would someone else in his position have acted differently given the administrative mechanisms prevailing there? The recession cannot be attributed to him,and foreign policy blunders were decided by a team of experts rather than by Bush alone. Ultimately,the leader is as good as his team and public opinion should take this into consideration.
• This refers to Coomi Kapoors When they are young again (IE,January 21). It is talent and capability that matters and not age. Rajiv Gandhi,a great visionary of a vibrant India,became PM at the age of 40. He had the foresight to realise the potential in IT for our country and was a pioneer in building our nations capability in that direction. Our nations young electorate will give priority to competence over age.
Saumya Brata Panda
• Obamas inauguration was innovative and exciting and should serve as a example for the people of India. Further,Obama has stressed the desire to develop strong Indo-US ties,as both countries have been victims of terror.
• Pakistans demand for the extradition of the Malegaon accused to Pakistan for trials is beyond ridiculous. The accused have not committed any crime against Pakistan or Pakistani citizens. They are accused of an offence committed on Indian soil and are subject to trial under the Indian law. Pakistans demand is a calculated move to divert attention from the Indian demand for the extradition of Pakistani nationals guilty of committing crimes on Indian soil.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.