* THIS refers to State defends Nanavati panels extensions (IE,June 29). The Nanavati-Mehta Commission,instituted to investigate the Gujarat violence of 2002,has only submitted an interim report so far. The final report is still awaited and its tenure has been extended till December 31,2012. The Gujarat government justified the extension,citing the mammoth task that had been assigned to the commission. But perhaps it would not be politically expedient if the commission submitted its report soon.
* THIS refers to CRPF orders probe into killing of Maoists,(IE,July 2). Reports seem to indicate that the people killed in police firing in a Chhattisgarh village were not Maoists. But some credit should be given to the police officers who risked their lives in the encounter,after all. It also needs to be asked why the villagers were assembled in a meeting at 11 pm,and why the Maoists were present there.
* THE resignation of Prasenjit Bose (My Resignation,IE,June 25) from the CPM signals that the party should spend some time on introspection. Is it worth sacrificing a larger ideological position and such promising young leaders just to drive a wedge between Mamata Banerjee and Congress?
* THE return of Surjeet Singh from Pakistan might have raised hopes of an improvement in Indo-Pak relations had it not been for the unseemly confusion over the release of Sarabjit Singh (Its Surjeet,not Sarabjit,clarifies Pak,IE,June 27). It was initially thought that Sarabjit would be freed but hours later,the Pakistan government clarified that it was releasing Surjeet. The release of such prisoners go a long way in establishing cordial relations between the two countries,but such gestures often get lost in the diplomatic labyrinth. As for the prisoners,one can only imagine the suffering of somebody who has spent years in jail and is given the promise of release,only to have it snatched away from him. The families of such prisoners are also severely affected. It is cruel that such confusion should occur just because of a spelling error or a word misheard.
* IT IS a matter of great regret that the reputation of the army has been tarnished of late (CBI unearths defence canteen scam,arrests manager,IE,July 1). This when the ink had not dried on the report about another scandal over recruitments to the NDA (NDA staff exam scam: Candidates told to leave answersheets blank,IE,June 25). The defence minister must look into these matters and ensure the strictest action is taken against the culprits.
Vijay D. Patil
From Colorado to Uruguay,experiments with legalising marijuana usage. India should take note...
The insensitive state response to an alleged rape and murder shows what hasnt changed for women...
The prime minister finally held a press conference but evaded the questions,shifted the blame...