April 15, 2009 1:36:47 am
• Peoples Conference leader Sajjad Lones decision to participate in the general elections is a welcome development. Since one swallow does not make a summer,it is hoped that Lone is not alone in joining mainstream politics many more will shun the path of confrontation and opt for the ballot over the bullet to resolve their decades-long concerns. The results of the assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir a few months back are proving to be the harbinger of peace and harmony in this troubled state.
Best of Express Premium
• This is with reference to the article Incredible CBI by former Chief Justice J.S. Verma. The CBIs claim to be Indias premier investigating agency is out of sync with the CBIs performance in investigating,and the subsequent conviction rate in the cases filed in the courts. The very fact that a simple murder case Arushi Talwar of Noida still remains an enigma wrapped in a mystery speaks volumes about the CBIs effete workings. If we go by the conviction rate in the cases filed by CBI,it is shocking to know that it is 15 per cent or so.
• It brings me great joy and pride seeing our national hockey team win the Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey tournament after a long gap of 13 years. This accomplishment however should not go in vain as it has on several other occasions. Hockey has always taken the back seat to cricket in our country and has not received its due importance. We cannot keep blaming the authorities all the time. We the people have also let our national sport down. Not qualifying for the last Olympics should have left us devastated,but not many people gave it much importance. It would have been a different story if India had not made it to a cricket world cup. It is high time we started showing some respect to our national sport.
• In keeping with the current rhetoric of fielding only clean candidates by various political parties in the ensuing elections,the decision to withdraw candidates allegedly involved in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots from the electoral fray by the Congress can only be seen as image repair tactics on its part. But this can even be said about the matter of Manoj Pradhan,an accused in the Kandhamal riots currently lodged in jail,who has been foisted as the BJP candidate from one of the constituencies in the communally ravaged district of Orissa? Are we witnessing a parody of the secular leanings of a nation as perceived by the two largest parties in the country?
🗞 Subscribe Now: Get Express Premium to access our in-depth reporting, explainers and opinions 🗞️
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.