October 14, 2013 1:47:03 am
* This refers to Rahul puts old guard on notice: next govt of the poor and young (IE,October 10). The Congress vice president has emphasised the importance of having young people and persons from humble backgrounds in government. Clearly,as of now,very few ministers fit this description. Even though UPA2 is Rahul Gandhis government,he poses as an outsider. A government of and by the young and the poor is only possible if the so-called old guard is not given preferential treatment in the partys ticket allotment for the 2014 general elections and the upcoming assembly polls in five states. Only capable young persons of proven integrity must be given party tickets to contest elections. As the Congress vice president,Rahul will not be able to pose as an outsider and blame someone else if this does not happen.
* This refers to BJP submits dissent note,says cover-up by PM,Chacko (IE,October 11). Joint parliamentary committees are intended to be extraordinary committees,constituted by Parliament,to look into critical matters of national importance. A JPC can fix responsibility for lapses in government and suggest remedial measures,including amendments to law or new legislations. Unfortunately,despite its wide range of powers,such committees have been let-downs. Instead of rendering sage service,such committees are not above petty politicking.
* This refers to Deterrence unproved by Chinmaya R. Gharekhan (IE,October 9). I do not subscribe to the views of the writer. Even though Pakistan harbours terrorists and terror-training cells,and spreads fear and instability to other countries through these terrorists,no country dares to touch it on account of its nuclear weapons. Global security is a dynamic concept. Even if the cost of maintaining and acquiring nuclear weapons is high compared to conventional weapons,and even if nuclear weapons were initially acquired for their cost advantage,India must still maintain a nuclear arsenal,in order to maintain its integrity and security. Its elementary game theory at work. We have been able to maintain peace by equalling Pakistans nuclear might.
* Gharekhan’s contention that our superiority in conventional weapons did not prevent the two wars with Pakistan in 1965 and 1971,is not entirely correct. In 1965,Pakistan had both superior weapons and state-of-the-art aircraft,courtesy of the US. It was only in 1971 that we enjoyed overwhelming superiority in conventional weapons. Pakistans nuclear weapons have neutralised our advantage in superior conventional weapons post-1998.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.