May 30, 2009 11:34:55 pm
• While Verdict 2009 fortunately provides for a stable and effective Union government,we should also be thankful that the mandate is not massive. Even as its mandate allows the Congress to head the new government without most of the constraints of its previous one,it will yet be difficult for the Congress (and the UPA) to lose its moorings. On the other hand,the NDA,particularly the BJP,must play the role of a constructive and effective opposition. A more or less bipolar,yet sincere,House will make for good governance. But first,the BJP must shed its Hindu Right ideology.
Sant P. Gupta
• This refers to the editorial Hinges missing. A large number of ministers are members of the Rajya Sabha. They are not truly the representatives of the electorate. They enjoy the position due to allegiance to the ruling party. The peoples mandate is flouted. Representation from different states is inadequate,UP being a classic example. The PM had to accommodate demands of alliance partners. The DMK got a larger share of the pie. One wonders how the cart will by pulled by Dr Singh with the support of stubborn allies.
• Reading Inder Malhotras Mourning Nehru in Pakistan,some points need to be stressed. Ordinary Pakistanis would not be harbouring any ill will towards us,and those who worked for the creation of Pakistan literally misled them,stressing the religious aspect.
Now it is a country with few seasoned leaders. For strategic reasons,if not with ulterior motives,the US helped create a military state in Pakistan,if only to checkmate the former USSR,and now the result is there for all to see. The Pakistan military,having got a state,has made enmity with India its raison detre,and the present mess in that country is hard to clear in the near future.
Indeed,there is no reason to exult in our western neighbours misery,excepting to sympathise with the people of the country,who are forced to have a taste of religious extremism,largely promoted by its own ISI and the American CIA,as recently admitted by Pakistans President Zardari.
M.K.D. Prasada Rao
• This refers to Arun Jaitleys article Triumph of the moderate. The main message of this mandate is the voters firm rejection of Narendra Modis politics,Varun Gandhis crass communal insults which should have resulted in the BJP withdrawing him from the race like Tytler and Sajjan Kumar were withdrawn by the Congress following Shoegate.
The BJP needs to reinvent itself like a genuine and law-abiding centre-right party like the Christian Democrats in Europe,the Tories in the UK,or the Republicans in the US.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.