May 2, 2009 12:59:49 am
• The Union law minister and the attorney general stain not only the government but also the system of democracy. Here indeed is one attorney general who has made few appearances in court for the government in the last five years. The law minister of course was never credited with anything scintillatingly original for a lawyer. He would do well to find out how the man Nehru appointed as law minister,Ashoke K. Sen,conducted himself. Theres something else relevant to this context: when Richard Nixon was on the verge of impeachment,neither his attorney general,Elliot Richardson,nor Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox,the man appointed to examine the case,tried to help the beleaguered president vis-à-vis Watergate. They refused to abuse their positions or compromise their independence and personal integrity.
M.K.D. Prasada Rao
Without a history
• The US Vice President Joe Biden has rightly said that Islamabad needs a cultural change to view that India is not its enemy. Virtually every Indian policy-maker,scholar and Pakistan watcher has echoed the same sentiments. Since the birth of Pakistan,events have repeatedly proved that while a stable and powerful Pakistan is a constant challenge to Indias security,an unstable and weak Pakistan is even more dangerous.
Since Independence,India has remained the main reference point for Pakistan. What international observers dont understand is that Pakistan doesnt have a history to fall back on. Therefore,its elite civilian and military must propagate a permanent threat from India to retain its grip on power.
• The editorial The two stooges convincingly conveys the indignity of being stooges and rubber stamps on the attorney general and the law minister in letting Ottavio Quattrocchi off the hook. However,shouldnt you have gone so far as to publicly name all those guilty,all those who help the Congress go about its business of institution wrecking?
Salvaging the CBI
• The Indian Express must be congratulated for exposing the professional incompetence of the CBI again. Theres little doubt that the CBI was misused by the Congress-led UPA government for political and extra-political reasons. The UPAs tenure will be remembered for the new lows the credibility of our institutions and agencies touched. Whoever comes to power later this month must categorically de-link the CBI from politics.
• The death of Bharat Borge leaves us clueless about the twists and turns of the Anil Ambani helicopter sabotage case. But Indias record on witness protection is dismal. That doesnt help a country affected by corruption of every kind as well as terrorism. We have lost many political leaders and prominent citizens to conspiracies. Its time whistleblowers and witnesses were given sound protection.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.