• Given that the country is currently facing complex challenges from communally-oriented terrorists,huge corporate frauds and a worsening political situation in the neighbourhood,it is unfortunate that the Election Commission should sound the alarm bells of a constitutional crisis,Now,consensus. Two developments are particularly worrying: CEC N. Gopalaswamis recommendation of Navin Chawlas dismissal and the BJPs complaint about Chawla without substantial evidence.
Ved Guliani Hisar
• The Congresss decision to go it alone in the general elections is dictated by compulsion rather than choice. There is no national party,other than the BJP,for the Congress to align with! Left parties,the NCP and SP are national on paper alone; none of them possesses genuine national presence. Moreover,the party will have to depend heavily on regional alliances as it is in power due to its own strength in just a few states and has poor party organisation at the grassroots level in many others. So if the party returns to power at the Centre,it will be through the help of many ambitious regional satraps and a ragtag coalition.
• This refers to Unruly passenger on flight from Goa…. This is not the first time an incident occurred where inebriated passengers created ruckus on an airplane. The concerned authorities should take proactive steps,such as scrutinising suspected passengers,prior to letting them get on board and instituting alcohol tests.
• The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act approving equal pay legislation displays Barack Obamas desire to further the cause of equality. Calling for an end to the disparity in wage structure,he appears to be taking a very firm stand against gender-bias. Categorising the work-force in terms of stronger or weaker sex,pay discriminations in organisations have only served to widen the chasm between the employees,driving the wedge of male superiority deeper. These false notions need to be clearly dispelled.
• The multiple outcomes of 26/11 cannot allow for vandalism towards establishments that carry Pakistani names. Is there any connection at all between the two that warrants such behaviour? In fact,such action only contributes to the loss of social equilibrium.
• Credit should be given to Mahesh Bhupathi and Sania Mirza for their joint Grand Slam victory. Yuki Bhambri has also carved himself a place in history by becoming the first Indian to win the Junior Australian Open.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines