By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America,including section 301 of title 3,United States Code,and sections 3301 and 7301 of title 5,United States Code,it is hereby ordered as follows:
Section 1. Ethics Pledge. Every appointee in every executive agency appointed on or after January 20,2009,shall sign,and upon signing shall be contractually committed to,the following pledge upon becoming an appointee:
As a condition,and in consideration,of my employment in the United States Government in a position invested with the public trust,I commit myself to the following obligations,which I understand are binding on me and are enforceable under law:
1. Lobbyist Gift Ban: I will not accept gifts from registered lobbyists or lobbying organisations for the duration of my service as an appointee.
2. Revolving Door Ban: All Appointees Entering Government. I will not for a period of 2 years from the date of my appointment participate in any particular matter involving specific parties that is directly and substantially related to my former employer or former clients,including regulations and contracts.
3. Revolving Door Ban: Lobbyists Entering Government. If I was a registered lobbyist within the 2 years before the date of my appointment,in addition to abiding by the limitations of paragraph 2,I will not for a period of 2 years after the date of my appointment:
(a) participate in any particular matter on which I lobbied within the 2 years before the date of my appointment;
(b) participate in the specific issue area in which that particular matter falls; or
(c) seek or accept employment with any executive agency that I lobbied within the 2 years before the date of my appointment.
4. Revolving Door Ban: Appointees Leaving Government. If,upon my departure from the Government,I am covered by the post employment restrictions on communicating with employees of my former executive agency set forth in section 207(c) of title 18,United States Code,I agree that I will abide by those restrictions for a period of 2 years following the end of my appointment.
5. Revolving Door Ban: Appointees Leaving Government to Lobby. In addition to abiding by the limitations of paragraph 4,I also agree,upon leaving Government service,not to lobby any covered executive branch official or non career Senior Executive Service appointee for the remainder of the Administration.
6. Employment Qualification Commitment: I agree that any hiring or other employment decisions I make will be based on the candidates qualifications,competence,and experience.
7. Assent to Enforcement: I acknowledge that the Executive Order entitled Ethics Commitments by Executive Branch Personnel, issued by the President on January 21,2009,which I have read before signing this document,defines certain of the terms applicable to the foregoing obligations and sets forth the methods for enforcing them. I expressly accept the provisions of that Executive Order as a part of this agreement and as binding on me. I understand that the terms of this pledge are in addition to any statutory or other legal restrictions applicable to me by virtue of Federal Government service.
Barack Obama (Executive Order Ethics Commitments by Executive Branch Personnel)
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines