Two opinions on the region for the price of one
There is so much going on in the Middle East today,its impossible to capture it all with one opinion. So here are two for the price of one.
Opinion one: Haaretz,the Israeli newspaper,reported last week that the imprisoned Palestinian leader Marwan Barghouti called on his people to start a popular uprising against Israel,to stop negotiations and security coordination and to boycott (Israel). Barghouti recommended that his people choose non-violent opposition. Barghouti,as Haaretz noted,is the most authentic leader Fatah has produced,and he can lead his people to an agreement… If Israel had wanted an agreement with the Palestinians it would have released him from prison by now.
Barghoutis call for non-violent resistance is noteworthy and the latest in a series of appeals to and by Palestinians to summon their own Arab Awakening,but do it non-violently,with civil disobedience or boycotts of Israel,Israeli settlements or Israeli products.
I can see the efficacy of non-violent resistance by Palestinians to the Israeli occupation of the West Bank on one condition: They accompany any boycotts,sit-ins or hunger strikes with a detailed map of the final two-state settlement they are seeking. Just calling for an end to occupation wont cut it.
Palestinians need to accompany every boycott,hunger strike or rock they throw at Israel with a map delineating how,for peace,they would accept getting back 95 per cent of the West Bank and all Arab neighbourhoods of East Jerusalem and would swap the other 5 per cent for land inside pre-1967 Israel. Such an arrangement would allow some 75 per cent of the Jewish settlers to remain in the West Bank,while still giving Palestinians 100 per cent of the land back.
By Palestinians engaging in non-violent civil disobedience in the West Bank with one hand and carrying a map of a reasonable two-state settlement in the other,they will be adopting the only strategy that will end the Israeli occupation: Making Israelis feel morally insecure but strategically secure. The iron law of the peace process is that whoever makes the Israeli silent majority feel morally insecure about occupation but strategically secure in Israel wins.
Unabated,disruptive Palestinian civil disobedience in the West Bank,coupled with a map delineating a deal most Israelis would buy,is precisely what would make Israelis feel morally insecure but strategically secure and revive the Israeli peace camp. It is the only Palestinian strategy Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu fears,but it is one that he is sure Palestinians would never adopt. He thinks its not in their culture. Will they surprise him?
Opinion two: One of the most hackneyed clichés about the Middle East today is that the Arab Awakening,because it was not focused on the Israeli-Palestinian issue,only proves that this conflict was not that important. Rather,it is argued,the focus should be on Iran 24/7. The fact is,the Arab Awakening has made an Israeli-Palestinian peace settlement more urgent than ever for two reasons.
First,it is now clear that Arab autocracies are being replaced with Islamist/populist parties. And,in Egypt,in particular,it is already clear that a key issue in the election will be the peace treaty with Israel. In this context,if Palestinian-Israeli violence erupts in the West Bank,there will be no firewall to stop the flames from spreading directly to the Egyptian street.
Moreover,with the rise of Islamists in Tunisia,Libya,Egypt and Syria,Israelis and Palestinians have a greater incentive than ever to create an alternative model in the West Bank a Singapore to show that they,together,can give birth to a Palestinian state where Arab Muslims and Christians can thrive in a secular,but religiously respectful,free market,democratic context,next to a Jewish state. This is the best Palestinian leadership with which Israel could hope to partner.
One reason the Arab world has stagnated while Asia has thrived is that the Arabs had no good local models to follow the way Taiwan followed Japan or Hong Kong. Fostering such a model that would stand in daily contrast to struggling Islamist models in Gaza and elsewhere would be a huge,long-term asset for Israel and help to shape the world around it.Thomas L. Friedman
- Adults smoking can cause children physical harm
Children who breathe secondhand smoke have an elevated risk of developing ear infections, coughs and colds, bronchitis and pneumonia, and tooth decay, the pediatric association…
- Boys must be strong and girls can be anything they want, but looks matter
This contributes to the feeling among girls that they’re undervalued and objectified by boys, researchers said. Pressures on boys can also leave them with low…
- GTramp: The next big sport for tweens and teens, fuelled by social media
Trampoline parks are in the game, too. Last year, trampoline parks were a $1.4 billion industry in the United States; by 2023, that’s expected to…