Updated: March 4, 2018 3:27:37 pm
In Meghalaya, the Congress is set to emerge as the single largest party, leading in 17 seats. Other regional parties lead in 19 seats, while the National People’s Party (NPP) leads in 13 and the BJP in six. The party reportedly rushed senior leaders to the state this morning, after initial trends were projected, to explore possibilities of alliances in a bid to retain control over the state. The Mukul Sangma-led government has been in power for the last decade.
Meghalaya chief minister and Congress candidate Mukul Sangma won from both Ampati and Songsak constituencies. Results in 26 constituencies including North Shillong and Sohiong have been declared with Congress winning 11 constituencies. The trends for Meghalaya 2018 Assembly elections show that Congress taking a comfortable lead in 23 seats. Other parties are close behind with 16 seats. While Congress has been ruling in the state for 10 years, two exit polls have predicted that BJP would make significant gains in the state. Chief Minister Mukul Sangma-led Congress is facing a dual threat from Conrad Sangma-led NPP and the BJP which has been a marginal player till the last election. Congress has fielded 59 candidates and BJP 47. NPP has 52 candidates in the fray.
Counting for Meghalaya along with two other Northeast states began this morning.
NPP has gained major footing beyond the hills of Tura where it had a strong presence. NPP is in alliance with BJP at the Centre and in Manipur but in Meghalaya, the two are fighting battles on their own. All eyes will also be on the United Democratic Party (UDP), Hill State People’s Democratic Party (HSPDP) and Garo National Council (GNC) who have formed a pre-poll alliance and can play the kingmaker.
Full list of winners in Meghalaya election results 2018 below:
- Congress’ Dr. Mukul Sangma won Ampati seat by a 8104 margin against BJP’s Bakul Ch. Hajong.
- UDP’s Lakhmn Rymbui won Amlarem seat by a 2631 margin against NPP’s Stephanson Mukhim.
- Independent’s Samuel M Sangma won Baghmara seat by a 2242 margin against NPP candidate Sengnal N. Sagma.
- NPP’s Pongseng Marak won Bajengdoba seat by a 1964 margin against Congress’ Brigady Napak Marak.
- Congress’ Nazarus Sangma won Chokpot seat by a 2051 margin against NPP’s Secondson A. Sangma.
- NPP’s James Pangsang Kongkal Sangma won Dadenggre seat by a 2785 margin against Independent’s Rupa M. Marak.
- NPP’s Brening A. Sangma won Dalu seat by a 784 margin against Congress’ Kenethson Sangma.
- Nationalist Congress Party’s Saleng A. Sangma won Gambegre seat by a 136 margin against Congress’ Sadhiarani M. Sangma
- Congress’ Mazel Ampareeen Lyngdoh won East Shillong seat by a 6074 margin against BJP’s Neil Antonio War.
- NPP’s Sosthenes Sohtun won Jirang seat by a 220 margin against Congress’ Witness Day Sancley.
- NPP’s Wailadmiki Shylla won Jowai seat by a 1303 margin against UDP’s Moonlight Pariat.
- UDP’s Kyrmen Shylla won Khliehriat seat by a 8181 margin against BJP’s Justine Dkhar.
- Congress’ Dikkanchi D. Shira won Mahendraganj seat by a 7861 margin against BJP’s Premananda Koch.
- UDP’s Metbah Lyngdoh won Mairang seat by a 2914 margin against People’s Democratic Front’s Councellor Singh Wahlang.
- People’s Democratic Front’s Banteidor Lyngdoh won Mawkynrew seat by a 509 margin against HSPDP candidate Martle N Mukhim.
- NPP’s Rupert Momin won Kharkutta seat by an 809 margin against Congress’ Cherak Watre Momin.
- NPP’s Dasakhiatbha Lamare won Mawhati seat by a 204 margin against Independent’s Julias Kitbok Dorphang.
- Congress’ Process T. Sawkmie won Mawlai seat by a 1574 margin against Independent’s Teiborlang Pathaw.
- HSPDP’s Renikton Lyngdoh Tongkhar won Mawkyrwat seat by a 458 margin against Congress’ Carnes Soshang.
- Independent’s Syntar Klas Sunn won Mawphlang seat by a 718 margin against Congress’ Kennedy Cornelius Khyriem.
- Congress’ David A Nongrum won Mawryngkneg seat by a 3763 margin against People’s Democratic Front’s Highlander Kharmalki.
- NPP’s Gigur Myrthong won Mawshynrut seat by a 3424 margin against HSPDP’s Witting Mawsor.
- Congress’ Himalaya Muktan Shangpliang won Mawsynram seat by a 794 margin against People’s Democratic Front’s Pynshngainlang Syiem.
- UDP’s Brolding Nongsiej won Mawthadraishan seat by 1829 margin against HSPDP’s Brolinda L Nonglait.
- Congress’ Marthon Sangma won Mendipathar seat by a 2677 margin against NPP’s Frankenstein W. Momin.
- UDP’s Nujorki Sangoh won Mowkaiaw seat by a 260 margin against NPP’s Gilbert Sten.
- Congress’ DAVID A NONGRUM won from Mawryngkneng seat against PDF’s HIGHLANDER KHARMALKI
- PDF’s HAMLETSON DOHLING won from Mylliem seat against Congress’ RONNIE V LYNGDOH
- NPP’s SNIAWBHALANG DHAR won from Nartiang seat against Congress’ JOPTHIAW LYNGDOH
- Independent LAMBOR MALNGIANG won from Nongkrem seat against HSPDP’s ARDENT MILLER BASAIAWMOIT
- Congress’ MAYRALBORN SYIEM won from Nongpoh seat against UDP’s RONA KHYMDEIT
- NPP’s MACMILLAN BYRSAT won from Nongstoin seat against Congress’ GABRIEL WAHLANG
- Congress’ CHARLES PYNGROPE won from Nongthymmai seat against UDP’s DR. JEMINO MAWTHOH
- Khun Hynniewtrep National Awakening Movement’s ADELBERT NONGRUM won from North Shillong seat against BJP’s J. ANTONIUS LYNGDOH
- NPP’s THOMAS A. SANGMA won from North Tura seat against Congress’ NOVERFIELD R. MARAK
- NPP’s S. G. ESMATUR MOMININ won from Phulbari seat against Congress’ ABU TAHER MONDAL
- BJP’s ALEXANDER LALOO HEK won from Pynthorumkhrah seat against PDF’s JAMES BAN BASAIAWMOIT
- NPP’s PRESTONE TYNSONG won from Pynursla seat against UDP’s NEHRU SUTING
- Congress’ DR. AZAD ZAMAN won from Rajabala seat against Independent ASHAHEL D. SHIRA
- NPP’s BENEDIC R. MARAK won from Raksamgre seat against Congress’ LIMISON D. SANGMA
- NPP’s COMINGONE YMBON won from Raliang seat against BJP’s LAKHON BIAM
- Congress’ KIMFA SIDNEY MARBANIANG won from Rambrai Jyrngam seat against HSPDP’s K PHLASTINGWELL PANGNIANG
- Congress’ ZENITH M. SANGMA won from Rangsakona seat against NPP’s SUBIR M. MARAK
- Congress’ MARTIN M. DANGGO won from Ranikor seat against UDP’s PIUS MARWEIN
- NPP’s TIMOTHY SHIRA won from Resubelpara seat against Congress’ SALSENG C MARAK
- NPP’s RAKKAM A. SANGMA won from Rongara Siju seat against Independent ROPHUL S. MARAK
- NPP’s JIM M SANGMA won from Rongjeng seat against Independent WALSENG M. SANGMA
- Congress’ WINNERSON D. SANGMA won from Salmanpara seat against NPP’s IAN BOTHAM K. SANGMA
- Congress’ CLEMENT MARAK won from Selsella seat against NPP’s FERLIN C. A. SANGMA
- UDP’s DONKUPAR ROY won from Shella seat against PDP’s LESTON WANSWETT
- HSPDP’s SAMLIN MALNGIANG won from Sohiong seat against Congress’ H. DONKUPAR R. LYNGDOH
- PDF’s GAVIN MIGUEL MYLLIEM won from Sohra seat against UDP’s TITOSSTAR WELL CHYNE
- Congress’ DR. MUKUL SANGMA won from Songsak seat against NPP’s NIHIM D SHIRA
- BJP’s SANBOR SHULLAI won from South Shillong seat against Congress’ MANAS CHAUDHURI
- NPP’s AGATHA K. SANGMA won from South Tura seat against BJP’s BILLYKID A. SANGMA
- Congress’ SHITLANG PALE won from Sutnga Saipung seat against NPP’s HOPEFUL BAMON
- Congress’ JIMMY D. SANGMA won from Tikrikilla seat against Independent RAHINATH BARCHUNG
- Congress’ GEORGE BANKYNTIEWLANG LYNGDOH won from Umroi seat against NPP’s NGAITLANG DHAR
- PDF’s JASON SAWKMIE MAWLONG won from Umsning seat against Congress’ CELESTINE LYNGDOH
- Congress’ MOHENDRO RAPSANG won from West Shillong seat against UDP’s PAUL LYNGDOH
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.