Follow Us:
Friday, July 20, 2018

Satisfied with Chavan reply,Katju takes back notice

Consequently,I hereby withdraw the show-cause notice issued to him,” Katju said.

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Published: March 3, 2012 2:30:54 am

Days after he sent a show-cause notice to the Maharashtra government warning it of dismissal for failing to prevent attacks on journalists,Press Council of India chief Markandey Katju Friday softened his stance after CM Prithviraj Chavan wrote to him that his government was commited to guarantee freedom of the press.

Katju had last week sent a letter to Chavan pointing out that his government was “neither able to maintain law and order nor prevent attacks on journalists” which “seriously imperils freedom of the press”. The provocation was attacks on 800 journalists over 10 years in the state,including the “most shocking” murder of J Dey. Katju was also upset that his two previous letters to Chavan had gone unanswered.

The CM,Katju said,has assured that “he is getting the issues raised in my letter examined and will revert to me soon with factual details”. “By writing such a letter the CM has behaved like a gentleman. The letter is in keeping with his constitutional obligation and I believe in his assurance that he will do all he can for maintaining freedom of the press. Consequently,I hereby withdraw the show-cause notice issued to him,” Katju said.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement