The state government on Sunday announced a monetary relief of Rs 6 lakh to the family of alleged terror accused Khalid Mujahid who died mysteriously on May 18 while he was being brought to Lucknow jail after appearing in a court in Faizabad.
An accused in the serial blasts at Lucknow and Faizabad courts in 2007,Khalid was arrested along with another terror accused,Tariq Qasmi,near the Barabanki railway station on December 22,2007.
On May 3,the state government had moved an application in a Barabanki court for withdrawal of charges against Khalid and Tariq. The court,however,rejected the governments application on May 10.
An official statement said the government had removed Additional District Government Counsel for not following and putting up the governments application for withdrawal of the case properly in court. The government also stated that an appeal against May 10 court order had been filed. The statement said that the government was serious over the death of Khalid and the truth would come out soon.
On a request by Khalids family,the government recommended for CBI probe.
It has also ordered a high-level inquiry by Secretary (Home) Rakesh and ADG Jawed Akhtar. Besides,a judicial inquiry is being conducted by Chief Judicial Magistrate of Faizabad Akhilesh Kumar Pandey. The statement said that autopsy of Khalid was conducted by a panel of five doctors and among them two belonged to the minority community.
During the postmortem examination,family members of Khalid were present and the process was videographed. The nine policemen who escorted Khalid to Lucknow had been put under suspension and departmental action is being taken against them.